Sinister: NME always was crap anyway

Mr Smiley smiley at xxx.uk
Wed May 17 17:21:19 BST 2000

Hullo,

    Jesus, selling out? Next you'll be telling me Stuart's on the front
cover of the NME... oh bugger he is.

    And what the hell was that article about? I'm talking about the
interview with Stuart here, by the way. It's obvious that the writer didn't
like the music (he admitted this himself) and was just looking for an excuse
to lay in to the band. And I think complaining that they don't do interviews
is a stupid thing to do if you're then going to give them a right slagging.
I mean, if I were Stuart I'd be well pissed off. So he phones up an NME
journalist to discuss some things, one of these things being why they don't
do much promo stuff, and the journalist goes away to write a bitchy article
about them. It's hardly going to make the band think "oh goody, we really
enjoy being called 'elitist without in anyway (sic) being special...
perverse without being radical...self-conscious without being righteous',
let's do more interviews. For the record, I never buy NME because it's crap.
But I was fooled today by the big piccie of Stu on the front. I won't be
fooled again, it's just confirmed my view that the NME has gotten lost
somewhere around it's own small intestine. They seem obsessed with political
stuff like Primal Scream (supposedly) and ADF... well fair enough, but bands
that don't sing about their politics have a place too. God, I don't want to
go shopping for a music paper and find out I've inadvertently bought a
thinly disguised copy of Marxism Today.

    Oh yeah, and as for the supposed flood of sinister messages we're
supposed to be getting... well I get about 1 digest a day, which is bang on
fine as far as I'm concerned. And anyway, I don't think it's that unlikely
that sinister will be a bit busy, what with the immanent release of a new EP
and a new album (not to mention Geometrid). I'm sure once B&S disappear for
another couple of years then the list will quieten down a bit anyway. I'm
not being nasty, of course people should think before they write, it's just
that I thought it was a bit obvious why lots of people were writing. Sorry
Honey!

    [Checks watch] Hmmm. Not quite 15 minutes. [Goes off to make a cup of
tea]...[returns] right that's about a quarter of an hour.

Click!

Platonic hugs,
Mike
ICQ: 73775341