Sinister: unlikely stories mostly

ian nicolson imn_uk at xxx.uk
Wed May 17 18:34:28 BST 2000

hey kids

i know this is a bit late now, but there was a GRATE
column in the scotsman last friday about the links
between bernard maclaverty, travis and struan.
apparently they used to go round to his house and play
chess with alasdair gray, or something.  and it called
b+s 'the oddest band in britain', which i guess makes
a change from the 't***-est band in britain'...

and talking of alasdair gray there were a few articles
about him in the papers over the weekend, one of which
mentioned the b+s book he's gonna be working on.
apparently it'll be out by christmas, but seeing as
his new book was supposed to have been published in
1989 i wouldn't hold yer breath!  i was under the
impression that it was going to be a music book, but
from what i could make out it'll be a book of struan's
lyrics illustrated by gray (i *might* be wrong about
this...).  i've never been too sure about this kinda
thing.  i've seen similar books by nick cave and lou
reed, who both write wonderful lyrics, but when
printed in book form they just don't have the same
power as when combined with music.  and much as i luv
struan's words i'm worried that the same might happen
with this book.  lyrics are written to be sang with
music and when they're printed it's not really the
same...hopefully i'll be proved wrong and i am looking
forward to seeing it, as any collaboration like this
has got to be exciting.

this is my first evah post to the list, by the way,
after a long time lurking (like, since last october,
or something).  i've even been involved in the
wonderful tape tree odyssey and everyting (mines the
one with all the ivor cutler bits), but i just never
got around to writing before.  i guess i've always
been a bit of a late developer...but i've loved
reading yer posts all this time and i'm sure you'll
make me welcome.  my name's ian and i come from embra.
 in about three weeks  i finish college forever, so
like a lot of you i have bludy *loads* of work to do
just now, but instead of doing it i'm sitting at this
computer getting lost in a sinister world...i guess
this *might* not be a good strategy...and 'legal man'
comes out two days before my dissertation has to be
in, so every time i think of how close it is to being
released my heart drops cos it reminds me i've got so
much to do.  but when the album comes out i'll have
finished college and i'll be able to lie back and
listen to it in the sun (or the pissing rain - i'm in
edinburgh after all...)

thanks for reading - sorry if it was a bit spazzy, i
was nervous...i'm sure i'll get better in time...

see yah

ian n