Sinister: I've Heard the New Album, And It's....

Jarrod San Angel sanangel22 at xxx.com
Thu May 18 00:35:31 BST 2000

...a letdown.  Forgive me, my Belle & Sebastian brothers and sisters, for
being the bearer of bad tidings, but I'm here to declare the music on the
new album, "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant," as strange and
vexing as its title.  'Tis true.  For my money, and for my listening
pleasure, this is by FAR the weakest and most demanding of Belle &
Sebastian's collection of music.  Oh, by the way, if you're wondering how
I've already heard the entire album, it's available to download, in its full
length glorylessness, on Napster.com.  I'll admit that I was absolutely
thrilled to discover the album there, waiting for me to tap a few keys and
wait a few moments as it downloaded, but sorrow came, as Morrissey
proclaimed, in the end.  The first song I listened to was "Beyond the
Sunrise," and much to my displeasure, it featured Isobelle.  Now, don't get
me wrong, I think Isobelle's pipes do just fine on "Is it Wicked.." and "The
Gate," but beyond that I'm perplexed as to why they let her sing.  I can't
take her voice for very long.  It's frail and it's weak, and it grates on
the nerves.  At times, her vocals strain to come through the speakers.. and
when it does, I can't say that's a good thing.  Anyway, "Beyond the Sunrise"
is more like an Olden Ballad of Yore that explores Ancient Themes, and
sounds more like a Biblical Folk Song than anything else.  Next song I
listened to was "Don't Leave the Lights On Baby," and this is far and away
the best song on the album.  For me, anyway.  I'm sure you'll all have your
say as to which of these rather disappointing songs is the "best," as you're
all entitled to, indeed, but I think many of you will come to agree that
this is the only genuine sparkler.
Very moody song, groovy "Air" like melodies and keyboard. Rises to a
wonderful chorus.  "The Model" is a catchy little ditty that effectively
uses the oft under appreciated harpsichord... in fact, one of the few songs
in the pop anthology to use it at all, it seems.  This is one of the other
few songs on the album I enjoyed.
For all the chatter and clatter behind "Chalet Lines," the song itself is
mediocre by this band's usually fine standards.  Something tells me a
handful of you will be hoisting this song up to inflated proportions,
claiming it gorgeous.. but.. ahem.. it AINT. =(
"I Fought In A War" is dark and mysterious, with a very pretty riff and
moving story - along the lines of "Stars of Track and Field," but fails to
live up to the splendour of THAT song..
"Nice Day For A Sulk" is the sound of Stuart Murdoch masturbating musically.
  It's a throw-away.  Too simple.  Could've easily composed this one while
in the loo, on the toilet, scratching his head for album filler.  Some will
say it's classic B&S, others will be smarter and say it's a waste of
precious album space.
"The Wrong Girl" and "Woman's Realm" are easy on the ears - pleasant enough
to bear repeated listens..  yet I think you'll all agree that there's simply
something missing this time around.  The songs are all very well established
in that wonderful B&S style, rife with stirring cello, delightful flute,
occasional toy piano, and such.. but the magic is somehow absent..  the
sounds just doesn't seem to jibe and jive on this effort.  It's a
disheartening thing to witness, the slight lapse of imagination and creative
genius..  I did NOT go into this album with enormous expectations, nor do I
think the band infallible.  But by anyone's standards, this album is not the
sound of a band that has reached their creative zenith.  It is instead, the
sound of a band shambling through songs that took either too long or too
quick to create, and has either lost focus, or wanted to enjoy themsleves
just throwing whatever together.  It's not an easy listen, and it's not what
you're all expecting.  Many of you called "The Boy With the Arab Strap" a
let down..  I can only cringe to think of what you'll dub this one.
Again, I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings.

xoxoxoxo

Jarrod San Angel