Sinister: Re: I've heard...Ok...I'm going off on Jarod. In Public. ( sorry to be making a scene) Apologies or yer welcomes in advance.

Vilkas D'Angelo-Horvath vilkas at xxx.com
Thu May 18 03:36:38 BST 2000

Uncool.  Waaay uncool.

1. Can't you freakin' wait for the album? Less than a month already. Jumpin
jesus on a pogo stick.
        a. Not considering the sound quality of your computer,  and also
noting that I *love* to hear new, rare, music on my computer; the sound
quality of most mp3s and such suck.
        a.5. So, what referance points do you have for how the album should
sound? If one is expecting an artist to produce 5 albums that are
indecipherable from each other; go buy New Order or the S Club 7s.
Incedentally, I'm a huge New Order fan, I like the similarities. When the
variability in tone, melody, etc. is not that variable, all the subtleties
and buried melodies jump out to reveal a more sublime experience of sound.
Myself, I can't see much differance in the three previous albums; they're
all a bunch of wildly opposite parts put together. Differant is not the
question: goodness is. The songs don't sound the same.
        a.5. But I digress.
        b. That's not fair play. IMHO, downloading readily or almost readily
available songs etc. from napster is
                i. not fair to the artist who you like enough to download,
and would assumably thus support. Assuming they're not metallica; but that's
a whole nother story. I guess case by case consideration should be made. In
the internet age, there are reasons why new albums still have realase dates
other than lawyers and advertising departments. The joy of getting a record
you've waited for on the first available date. Not who hunts high and low
enough.
                ii. the reason why napster and the like will be removed from
popular culture, thus giving a lot more music power to commercial radio
stations/sites and mall record stores.
        c. I know the Belles are not infallible perfect, whatever, musically
or in any other way; so what I'm saying here is that yes, anyone can make a
baaaad album. In the new album and here, i'm not interested in aural
masterbation. Discussion and praise are not nessacarily masturbation.  And
no, I'm not giving any examples of this point, cos:
                i. I haven't heard the album.
                ii. I'm pissed off about the theory of the whole thing; I
could give a rat's ass if someone doen't like a record. It's not the dislike
factor, it's the way of going about it.
                ii.2.  Fucking Dogmatic.
                iii. My examples are based on opinion rather than mucical
notes.
        d. Do you have to *bitch* about it here. You sound like Rolling
frickin' Stone Magazine.
        e. If you expect the worst from an album, you'll get it.
        e.2. I expect nothing other than a new album by a band a really dig.

        f.  Listening and *hearing* are two different things.
        f.2. Change is *good*.
        f.3. Growth is *good*.
        f.4.  Complacency and stagnation are *bad*.
        g.  Unless you like only a narrow spectrum of music; intent must be
taken into account on contemporary rock and roll music. Lo-Fi is cool. Why
do you think that demos are sought after?
Same with all those kids playing their geetars out of tune? Why do you think
MTV unplugged was so popular?
        g.2. Re: Isobel's singing: see above, lo-fi is cool. Don't you think
that mix was deliberate?
        g.3. I loved the Wrong Girl on all the live stuff.
        h.  The first time I heard some of my favorite albums, I was *not*
impressed to say the least. And I had either already bought them or somehow
heard them again and again.
        i.  Just cos you like it, doen't mean it's not any good.
        i.2. Just cos it's demanding doesn't mean it's no good. See above
listening vs. hearing: Listen to a record a few times on your headphones. By
working with it, youll be returned with a richer sound.
        j.  This argument is unfocused and possibly contradictive; just
trying to keep the thoughts in a legible format.
        k.  I can defend all of what I have ranted about, but it's getting
late and I must get up for work at the crack of dawn. Literally.
        l.  I really just wanted to say go fuck off then. But that would
have been unfocused, rude, and without backup.
        m.  Just don't be that guy taking up space at the shows grooving to
only the songs from the first album, then bitching about the new songs amd
how they sold out after the first album in a jaded manner.It's just not cool
anymore.
        n. If I can collect my thoughts, more possibly focused rants to
come.

            XXOO, Vilkas,who is non sarcastically really enjoying the remix
of Pure Shores on internet radio beat106. This may blow the whole of my
argument out the water for some of you. If you've read it at all.

If you've read this far:
Reader Beware: Disjointed music theory lies here, further clouded by
aggravation. Then again ,this disclaimer may be humility. or cockiness
disguised as humility. >:)