Sinister: i can't believe they're going to give me a diploma

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Thu May 18 06:18:11 BST 2000

hello sinister, "hi-fi faggots" and the like.
i was sitting in my room, reading martha stewart and listening to
looper (geometrid), when i decided that maybe it was time to break
out of my lurkdom shell and post, since i still have the opportunity
for the next few days. i'm graduating from college on saturday.
they're giving me a diploma for spending 4 years here and barely
working. well, i actually worked pretty hard. i still don't think i
deserve it, though. i'm worried i'll show up to the ceremony saturday
morning, and when it's time to go up on stage and gather my symbolic
peice of paper, they're going to tell me they made a mistake, and
quickly usher me off the stage.

------------don't ask, don't tell--------------
as for the belle and sebastian content (which was more of a motivator
for this post than my imminent graduation), i've been paying a decent
amount of attention to the posts following the review of the new
album by Jarrod, and i'm a little saddened by them for the most part.
i'm not going to critique your posts, or comment on whether or not
it's a good idea to post reviews of albums before they come out, but
i had some things to say. basically, i've learned in the past that if
i don't want to hear about an album before it comes out, i won't read
any posts that begin with: "so i've heard the new album, and here's
what i think of it," or something similar. so, keeping that in mind,
i pretty much ignored Jarrod's post. while i've contemplated tracking
down MP3s of FYHCYWLAP, i've opted not to, as my only experience with
hearing an album before the release date resulted in much
disappointment when i finally got my legal copy. (if any of you care,
it was morrissey "maladjusted." got a taped copy from a friend 3
months before the album was released. lucky me. i keep it in my car
now.)
knowing my own weakness makes me disinclined to beat down on Jarrod
for giving into the temptation, only to decide he didn't like the
sound of it. if the new album sounds a lot like legal man, i might
not like it either, whether it's been paid for or not doesn't matter.
Johan's response to all of this was insightful, especially since i
was skeptical of the quality of the MP3s Jarrod had downloaded. it's
probably not so smart of me to continue this thread, but for the
first time in months i actually felt like i had something to say
about a thread on sinister. I think a lot of you may agree with what
i've said and how i feel, and i know some of you may not. It's a good
conversation to keep up, if only as a small portion of the normal
bulk of emails. (which has really gone down to more of a trickle,
wouldn't you say so?) a lot of people have posted some interesting
ideas and opinions about discussion of unreleased material, the
morality of acquiring said material, and reasons not to try and get
your hands on something before the release date. a lot of these
writings have actually influenced my choice not to try and hear the
album early, and helped remind me to stick to that choice.

--------------stereolab and VW--------------
and, on another note, someone asked about the new beetle vapor
commercial and whether it's a stereolab song playing. i'm pretty sure
i know the ad you're talking about, and knowing VW, it probably is
stereolab. actually, i just checked their website (www.vw.com), and
in the commercials section, they list all their commercials and the
band and song for each. unfortunately they don't list the new beetle
ads, but you might be best off checking back in the next week or so
and they may have it up.

-------------the end?------------------
well, that's all i've got to say. i'll be leaving school on sunday,
getting home monday night, and hopefully i'll have internet access by
the following monday. i can probably get away with using my father's
computer for the interim, so i won't be missing any of my beloved
sinister writings. but, since i can't post from my school account
(and i'm not even sure how long that'll be active after i leave) this
is goodbye for probably quite some time. if i have to leave for good,
i'll just let you all know now that this has been a great 2 years of
my life on this list. thank you honey for being a stern but fair (not
to mention stunning and graceful) list mummy, and everybody who's
ever given more than a passing glance to the garbage i've posted.
including this. for the record, this post not only took longer than
15 minutes to write, it took closer to 45 minutes. well, back to
martha stewart and reading about plastic dinnerware. the next time i
post i'll be a college graduate. i hope. ;)

-kerry

"here i am, this is me. i am yours and everything about me,
everything you see . . . if you only look hard enough."
	                              -tindersticks, "my sister"