Sinister: and your kitchen looks like hell

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Thu May 18 08:35:01 BST 2000

cripes. my kitchen is a terrible mess. therefore it is
summer.

dudes and dudettes,

i was all set to tackle the t-shirt idea and fiona beat me
to it, but it wasn't a race anyway and all t-shirt-related
talk is good talk. i like the idea of having "sinister" on
the front and "it's where we live" on the back (good on ya,
jason, except for the bunnies business maybe. unless they
are line drawings, which are neat, but also might look
scary. and scary bunnies are bloody awful. oh god, i just
had a flashback of the flaming lips concert, people in
bunny suits... scary. ag. okay, it's okay. irrational
phobia of people dressed up in big sweaty animal suits
subsiding...)

still more on t-shirts: i was going to go all kado style
and write "sinister", etc. in magic marker, but i'm
thinking it would be good to do it t-shirt transfer style,
like put a graphic on the site so we can download it and
print it off. alas, i'm no graphic artist. ideas and more
ideas though. also, it would be cool too b/c even though
the graphic would be low-resolution that in itself would
reflect our Internet Presence. yar. and we could put it on
any colour/style t-shirt then and not have to worry about
too big/too small/too expensive/etc. f-u-n! also cool would
be to just diy it and we would all have t-shirts saying
roughly the same thing but in different fonts and styles.
similar to all having picnics on the same day in different
cities.

yes, i am one with sinister: if it isn't raining i am
having a picnic here in vancouver and all are welcome.
except if you are dressed in a bunny suit. it will be in
queen elizabeth park on saturday around 2. there will be a
ghettoblaster blasting belle and sebastian and magnetic
fields and arling&cameron and other good summer sounds.
there will be picnic-related activites. in all reality,
it'll be me with some cheese and a bottle of wine, but have
no fear, submit to the picnic, climb the hill, submiiiit...

alasdair "permanently sweaty and fact-based" cook said:
many entertaining & useful things, among them:
"What people used to eat." which sent my mind reeling into,
like, the war of 1812 for some reason...

also interesting to hear from c heil that "she's losing it"
played on dateline nbc during a show on eating disorders.
wha? uh. er. i'd love to meet the intern who (obviously)
put forth that idea - "i've got the perfect song! no,
really guys, listen, it's about this girl who's dealing
with all this stuff and it's like, overwhelming, and..."
them: "does it have a reference to bulemia?" do-gooder:
"er, well..." thank you, barbara walters.

well, anyway. harry hunt saddened me a bit with his
inability-to-appreciate-beauty talk. but that will change -
lethargy isn't really all that fundamental anyway. i mean
look at fundamental christians - most of them snap out of
it once they hit 18. this is *quite* fact-based. ahem. i
mean, amen. er.

but yeah, the response to beauty does not always have to be
awe or gasping or wowing or running off and writing a poem
about it. i mean, a lot of people wouldn't even notice the
cherry blossoms - the observation itself is kind of an
acknowledgement of beauty, whatever beauty is. the
observation is emotional movement. i guess it's sad b/c of
the mention of pointlessness and feeling that one can't do
anything despite having lots of ideas. it's a bloody rough
struggle to do things with ideas much of the time. but in
many ways, it's sadder/more frustrating to not express
these ideas. i guess it's about taking some kind of action,
figuring that out like you might a math problem or a
puzzle. also, if you've got a good idea, you have to get up
the guts and share it (i'm also saying this to myself too,
of course, being a person who tends to run off and write
down pieces of poems that never get finished and should.
blarg. ar. etc.)

and argh, please, until june 5/6, no more blow-by-blow
(especially negative) reviews of "fold your hands child..."
b/c it's hard to take. (also, kind of an indication of not
reading the list as i remember this being discussed not
long ago.) well, maybe jarrod was joking. i don't know. but
there's a line btwn discussing something and critiquing or
reviewing something and sinister is more of a discussing
place. i reckon.

here is my point: t-shirts! deconstruct as you will.
back to the neurosis, the 9-5, the sleep deprivation,
lurve Robyn

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC