Sinister: about NME and journalists in general

jarkko frantila chamomile1 at xxx.com
Thu May 18 09:21:35 BST 2000

So Steven Wells slagged off B&S and their fans (us, that is)? A word of
advice and knowledge to you all, who think of writing an angry letter to
NME: Don't do it, kids.

Why, I hear you ask. Well, for a simple reason: By saying things like "Fuck
off Wells, you know nothing and B&S are the best/ most important band in the
world ever since The Smiths were here" you only strenghten his opinion about
Sinisterians and B&S fans in general: That we really are ponces who feel so
strongly about "our very own band" that no EVIL stuff should be written
about them.

And hey: I write stuff, interviews and reviews mostly, to this smallish
indie/punk/metal/magazine. And I happen to know a few REAL journalists,
people who actually get paid from doing that job rather than me, who only
gets to keep the cd's I review and nothing else. And let me tell you, I've
discussed this subject with them, and nothing is more rewarding than
receiving an angry letter/ e-mail from someone who dislikes my
text/opinions. Then I know I've caused some emotions. That's how it is,
people, with every journalist, and that's what Wells only tried to do: to
cause havoc. And remember this also: The journalist ALWAYS gets the final
word. Always. You can send 1000 angry letters to NME, and in the office they
can laugh at your angry rant and then... throw it into a wastebasket. They
don't have to print it, you know.

I know someone (maybe from Sinister ,perhaps?) will complain about Wells and
his views to NME, and I know they'll print some of the letters in their next
issue. And let me tell you, the staff at NME will have a field day thinking
of ways to tell the person who wrote the letter to either fuck off or get
himself/ herself a life. And I, I'm sorry to say, agree: It's only music,
for fucks sake. Good music, yes, but still JUST music.

And hey, think about yourself: You have no problem saying that europop is
utter shite, and you can even name bands that are shit. You smirk whenever
you notice that someone has slagged a band that's number one on your
hate-list in some interview. But now, all of a sudden, you get furious just
because YOUR band was laughed at. Hmmm...

Me, personally, I love Wells' style of writing. It beams out FUCK YOU in
this Stewart Home- type of way. What if all the magazines would be like
MOJO: Informative, yes, but oh so very dull?

@--->--- Jake Le PetitE