Sinister: interviews and the like

marc_bloomfield at xxx.org marc_bloomfield at xxx.org
Thu May 18 13:12:30 BST 2000

Hello all,

I see most people have read the NME interview. Well, let's face it, we
all knew it was going to be cack. It was with Steven Wells, and since
his interviews are inevitably excrutiatingly embarrassing, and reviews
frankly poor, it's no surprise that he chose to do an interview and
miss the point, just to wind a few people up.

Primal Scream (or is it Prml Scrm these days) were never bothered about
politics in their music until ADF came along and showed them up -
'Rocks' anyone? 'Higher Than The Sun'? 'Kowalski'? I think they've got
a serious case of bandwagon-hopping. And let's face it, they've been on
the slide since 'Screamadelica' which is a lovely album.

I saw the vid for 'Legal Man' on the predictably poor Jo Whiley show.
Shame they only showed about half a minute of it, as I've not got a
radio, and so never heard it before. And my oh my how right everyone
was - it sounds extraordinarily like the Eurotrash music. Still great
though, a lovely surprise. It's nice to have B&S you can actually dance
to without looking like a complete loon (actually, that's probably just
me...).

Album reviews before it comes out - all well and good. If someone
doesn't like it, they've got every right to say so. But people always
rate TBWTAS as disappointing, and that's how I got into the wonderful
world of B&S in the first place. I guess I'm alone in rating IYFS as my
least favourite of the three (my own favourite is 'Tigermilk', so I'm
glad that was rereleased).

On a different note, the idea of a world picnic day is fantastic, so
let's hope there are picnics going on everywhere (one day there'll be
an Internet link-up - does anyone have laptops? just a thought...). I
just hope the weather holds up for them all - it's gone all crappy here
in London, so I hope we don't get rained out. Mainly because I've had
to work stupidly long hours and weekends with no overtime (sympathy
please), and I need a nice day off. I hope there'll be lots of people
there, although I don't know how many sarnies to make. I'm sure
someone'll let me know. Anyone like Philadelphia and jam? I love it,
but it seems a bit of a waste of time if no one else wants it...

Question: should I feel like a fraud going to 2000TT when I'm 23?

Well, I suppose that's enough from me. I hope there's enough stuff here
to please everyone, rather than bore them to tears (I tried, oh how I
tried). My lunchbreak's nearly over, then back to panicking again.

Bye all,

Marc.