Sinister: The book's back on the shelf: a study of one boy's failure to revise.

Chris_t_opher chris_t_opher at xxx.com
Thu May 18 18:16:24 BST 2000

Good Morn.

I finished school on Tuesday. Mother wanted me to spend the day revising (5
days to exams and counting). I had other plans. You'd be surprised how much
fun 12 hours can be with beer, a curry, a football and some dodgy dancing.
One of my friends went for the alternative approach of 14 pints before
lunchtime and then a few hours napping in a field. We didn't want to disturb
his sleep, although he was 'accidently' hit with the football a few times.
When we carried on pubbing after the curry, we met up with some girls i've
known for 7 years and my 'friends' decided to try embarassing me in front of
them. There was one girl who i still find attractive despite not really
talking to for 2 years [does that remind anyone of an Arab Strap lyric?]. I
don't think i managed more than 20 seconds talking to her before my friends
decided i looked like i was having too much fun and came to my 'rescue'.
Roll on University!

The day ended with me injuring my back picking up people who obviously
weighed more than me and then waiting 2 hours for a taxi to take us home.
Whilst we were waiting, three boys tried starting a fight with me. On the
way home, one of my friends was quite racist to the taxi driver, despite my
attempts to shut him up. We ended up walked the last 200 yards.

I read Stuart's guide to failing exams twice today. This stuck out:

> I hope you can avoid doing the same,
> but I know there's no way of avoiding
> your own fuck-ups.

That's how it is with me right now. Everything's going wrong but i can't
avoid it. In fact, it's quite a refreshing feeling; Knowing that something
isn't beyond your power, but still not being able to do anything. I think i
need something nasty to happen to me. It might wake me up.

About the NME article-effort, the Idlefruit said:

> if you disagreed with Steven Wells,
> write a letter to Angst. Or e mail them.

No, no. Keep showing irritation on the list. It amuses me, at least.
Although, I'm sure Honey will take me to one side for saying that. :o)

MP3s are good for your health. I mean, when else could you hear Sleater
Kinney shouting "Do you think i'm an animal....am i not?" followed by the
Dangermouse theme-tune, followed by Barry White grumbling "My first, my
last, my everything"? Ok, so i could make myself a mix tape but i'd never be
able to GET some of these tunes in the first place. I'm sure it'll cost the
industry dearly, and it'll possibly stop bands that i might fall in love
with from reaching daylight, but i have to say "Good luck, Napster!"

I saw a whole 20 seconds of the Legal Man video yesterday. Stu looked like
the boss-man from Ally McBeal and Bel looked quite nice. I won't make any
artistic comment about it because i don't really like music videos [although
i would say the idea seems too glam for our boys and girls].

Politics and music don't mix too well, do they? Maybe that's why i hate
Billy Bragg so much. Or maybe it's because he's just crap. I think Belle and
Sebastian have the right idea when they just make some songs with no
alterior motive other than to entertain or please themselves and other
people. Beautiful music with 'interesting' lyrics [NB. B+S lyrics aren't
just 'interesting, they're 'likeable'!!] is far better than any lyrically
revolutionary song where music takes the back-seat. I know a lot of you
disagree but i only use music for entertainment. If i wanted to learn
something useful, I'd read a book.

.....Which takes me back to the subject line. Stop distracting me, Sinister.
You'll cost me dearly one day. grrrr.

Back to semantic errors for me...

Chris_t_opher

++ This has been officially certified a fifteen minute post [but that's only
because i'm a slow thinker] ++

"I don't get emotional. I'm annoyingly calm and i'm an irritating bastard. i
would loathe me" - Moby