Sinister: The New Album: Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy

carrot515 at xxx.com carrot515 at xxx.com
Thu May 18 21:50:12 BST 2000

Hmm where to begin...
perhaps the reason why everyone is being so pissy about this review is
they've unwrapped their shiny new copies of legal man...12" & cd because
you're a fan and jeepster wouldn't just toss around the "extended
version" tag lightly right?....and then maybe you popped in said single
and were... i don't know maybe slapped in the face with exactly the kind
of mediocrity that jarrod exposed to be forthcoming...

this kind of restriction and cencorship on a list open enough to post
what should really be diary entries and maintain a sort of gallery
contain the rude bits of some of its members(tee hee...)is really kind of
hypocritical...is the opinion what scares you? or the fact that he may be
right? what is the harm in posting your feelings about this band's
music....isn't this really... you know...a music discussion list? would
there have been this sort of uproar if the review had been glowing?

this is all extremely hard for me to swallow...i've been subscribed to
this list for quite a long time...and i feel bad for honey and the fact
that he now has to constantly shepherd this flock around lest it collapse
as a result of going too far astray...an unenviable task to be sure
also what used to be my little band....my little secret that were too
fragile to survive in the big wide world of mainstream music.....have
taken that leap...they're everywhere.... porn magazines have mentioned
them for christ sakes....and it seems they are imploding under this
pressure...sure they snagged that brit award...but really shouldn't we
all have been a little worried for what that sort of exposure would do to
them
stuart m recedes deeper and deeper into the woodwork with every
release...both of the press and musical variety...and unfortunately what
it has proved is that his is the true musical talent behind the
group...the true vision...and sure to be the largest casualty once this
whole thing blows up....whereas prior albums were recorded in weeks this
new work has taken hmm...almost 2 years.....pressure pressure...i loved
this band with all my musical beating heart....but with each release they
are quickly becoming less and less dear to me....seeing someone with a "i
study at show" shirt used to be a joy and a triumph for us all....these
days you have to wonder....maybe thats the indie nerd inside me....but
hell without that guy i never would have found them in the first
place...weren't all the early songs..(ie before they started going that
gangster rap route and singing about lawyers) about outsiders doing their
thing and being okay anyway? it's hard to keep up that outlook when frat
boys, jocks, (insert your favorite bad guy stereotype here) the worldwide
have their meaty claws all over your favorite little band, as elitest as
it may seem...although surely  the opinion nazis here could give me a
pointer or to about the concept of elitism, eh?

so the day when i leave this band and its community behind is seemingly
rapidly approaching...leave to find a new band to save my soul and make
bad days alright....although i pray to every possible deity that i am
forced to eat these words and sentiments, to admit that B&S are still on
top of their shit...on top of the music world, right where they belonged

i realize in advance that my opinion was not requested...and therefore i
shouldn't have divulged...but you know i really didnt ask over the past
years to hear about what you ate for dinner and how you're doing in
school and to see your penis through your unbuttoned jeans....difference
being i never complained whereas surely you will
enjoy your lunches and dinners
xoxo
love ryan