Sinister: Tigermilk & Honey

Jarrod San Angel sanangel22 at xxx.com
Thu May 18 23:22:33 BST 2000

(copied to the list)

Dearest Honey,

First and foremost, allow me to ask of you your forgivnace for creating a
monster on an otherwise placid list, when all I aimed to do was give a
personal review of the forthcoming album.  True enough, my tone was not that
of one who seemed to care what others thought, and I am saddened to think
that I may have burst more than a few bubbles out there.  I suppose I meant
my review as more of a heads up to list members, as opposed to a flat out
attack on the album - but whilst taking in the aftermath of my post, I've
come to agree with many that I should have at least given some sort of
disclaimer about my post - warned those who don't want a foreign opinion
thrust upon them - not to read below a certain point.  Alas, I did not, and
sloppily threw together a post that was neither flattering (to myself or the
band), nor kind.  I'll venture to say that I was just so shocked at the
knowledge that this album was much LESS than what I expected (and again, my
expectations were not out of reach), that I just had to release some of the
frustration (over the album) that was brewing & brooding up in my heart.  If
truth be told, the review I posted took me all of 10 minutes to compose, and
I sent it off into cyberspace without so much as a backward glance to see if
what I had written could in any way be misconstrued or taken offensively.
In a previous post, I had admitted that I knew some of my words would
inflame the all too delicate sensibilities of some on the list, and that
there would be a backlash - but I ask you, Honey - is it the aim of the list
to quash an opinion that angers or upsets some?  It the role you play one in
which you must censor or hush comments that could upset some feeble mind?
Forgive me, when I say feeble mind, I mean a mind that seemingly cannot
withstand an outside opinion.  And from the looks of my inbox, there are
many.  Okay, so there are rules that must be adhered to, and yes, indeedy, I
did in fact agree to them upon signing up.  Agreed.  I will henceforth
comply.  I have no problem with that.  However, what I and many others have
a problem with is that there are those here who DEMAND constant harmony on
the list, and that simply can't be.  In an ideal world, yes, we'd all get
along swimmingly, and agree on every turn of phrase.  But the truth is much
harsher.  There will be those who will speak out of turn, out of line, and
just plain confound and irritate people.  Fear not, I don't plan to be one
such bastard.  =)  But I will defend the right to speak, pontificate,
expound, elaborate, and jeer freely and openly on any subject the list deems
worthy.  It's a basic right, old as democracy itself.
By the way, the comment I made about the rules being as ridiculous as those
in the Cider House Rules was unfounded.  I haven't even yet read the
Sinister List rules..  my point, albeit badly made, was that ANY rules on a
mailing list will ineveitably be broken, whether intentionally, or
unwittingly.  And so to have such rules only leads to further unrest when
one breaks them..  but I do understand their importance, and now, having
read them.. I will uphold them, as promised.

Honey, it's nice to have a place to come to discuss anything and everything
under the sun, and I value the many personalities I've found here on the
list, yourself very much included.  Let me just say that, now (golly,
hopefully!) that this storm is clearing, it is in my sights to embark upon a
renewed and more constructive relationship with you and the other
sinisterians.  Let us embark upon something sweeter, long may it last..

I hope to hear more from you, and look forward to further discussions.
You've been more than kind to write to me to explain a few things..  I thank
you!

                              Jarrod San Angel