Sinister: Nothing to Do with Reviewing the New Album

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Fri May 19 17:30:28 BST 2000

Hello Sinisterines,
	For those of who don't remember, I was on the list up until
about nine months ago. I unsubbed because I ran out of time to read
posts, and now I have time, and being in #sinister compels one to
subscribe, I think. So I did. Apparently I missed all the untroubled
times in Sinister, and got back just in time for chaos. I hope this
is the worst of it.
	Yesterday I drove to Columbus and bought Legal Man. I'd
checked here in Athens the past couple of days, but the stores down
here don't know anything. One of them told me it was delayed, to
which I of course explained to him that people had already bought it,
so that couldn't be the case. Oh well, he lost my business, that
should be enough. Usually he's quite nice, he convinced me to buy a
Nick Drake album a long time ago.
	So after I bought Legal Man I found out the show I was to be
attending didn't start for hours, and I was supposed to meet friends
there. I occupied myself for a couple of hours by shopping and
walking around, then I went back to my car a bit before the show.
There I discovered my car keys had escaped my keychain during my
walk, into freedom. Though my keys had been liberated from servitude,
I had no way of getting back into my car. So I met my friends at the
show, and then after the first opener (4 bands, we wanted to see the
headliner, the Aislers Set) I called the locksmith and we went over
to my car to wait.
	Then it started raining. We took shelter under a nearby tree,
which didn't do much good, so we got soaked. The rain let up a while,
then started up again, so we picked a bigger tree further away. We
missed the locksmith, and though we eventually did get the locksmith
to come to the car, there was much more getting rained on and running
hither and thither, which I won't go into for great length due to
un-interestingness. But in the end, I left Columbus just after 2,
without having seen the band I came for, with only Legal Man and a
few other CDs to show for my harrowing experience. Well, it wasn't
that harrowing, it was kind of fun. I just like to be dramatic.
	So I'm wondering if I should go into any details of what I've
been doing, but I don't want to bore you all. Suffice it to say I've
been in my first 'band' which was a lot more trouble than I thought,
and ended up being a few songs, not even really recorded. And my
friend and I have written some songs too, and those got properly
recorded. It's nice to be on the other end of music for a while, even
if I don't put out records and just record MP3s and such. I've also
been doing a radio show rather frequently. I play Belle & Sebastian
and some asundry other things, many of which a lot of you would like.
You can listen on the internet, it's Tuesdays from 5-7 PM EST, for a
couple more weeks anyway. If you're curious, have a look at
http://www.frognet.net/~mick/radio.html   I've almost graduated from
Uni, so I guess my DJing days are numbered, but who knows.
	Well, I'll probably post again in the foreseeable future, so
be prepared. Oh and personally, I've been hearing people don't like
the album for a while now, and that there's a big backlash. Well,
maybe they will, then we'll just be liking a semi-obscure band again,
I guess. Big deal. I think they're wonderful and everyone should like
them, but if they don't it's their loss.
--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>