Sinister: facts facts facts

Jan Imgrund jimgrund at xxx.fr
Sat May 20 11:44:41 BST 2000

Hello
I've been on a sinister-nomail-diet for a few weeks now, and just like
brian, i just returned - for chaos. Can't you take care of yourselves for a
while??

So in my first post after decades of silence, I've taken it upon me to
translate an "interview" with Stevie Jackson from a german news-magazine
called FOCUS (slogan: "facts facts facts - and think about the readers.")
Just for safety reasons I might have to add that it's not a review and does
not contain any kind of valid information whatsoever. It's for you to have a
good laugh really.

BETWEEN PUN AND PAIN
Scotch pop-octet Belle and Sebastian have a problem: they are taken
seriously.

The glasgowers have called themselves after a french dog-cartoon, play with
clerical traditions and do almost anything to remain a commercial failure -
in vain.

FOCUS: some of your songs sound like the luth-play of a manic depressive
medieval singer [i know there is a word for this, but it was not in my
dictionary]. Have you made a profession out of sadness?

Stevie Jackson (guitarist of B&S): We take our work seriously, albeit not
quite as seriously as our fans. One day we  decided to become the most
morose band of this planet.

Focus: your first three CDs came out on a renowned label, your new one is
being published by an independent label. Why?

Jackson: We've only been one out of a lot of bands at Virgin Records. But we
are absolutely unique. If you want to represent something special, you have
to be strict in your decisions.

Focus: Do you fight against success?

Jackson: We are craving to become superstars. But if the people like our
music, well, than just as well buy our CD.

[good that they finally escaped the grip of big business now, after Virgin
had hugely promoted their acclaimed debut album "Lionblood"...]

Jan

PS: Spiegel-Leser wissen mehr!