Sinister: random thoughts ....

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sat May 20 22:04:08 BST 2000

***THE BELLE & SEBASTIAN MOVIE***

Not last night, but the night before that, I dreamt about "The Belle &
Sebastian" movie. It was a strange and startlingly realistic dream. I went
to see a movie in an old theatre, and got to sit next to Isobel for the
first half of the film. (She went out to buy popcorn and sat next to someone
else when she came back in .... sigh) Anyway, it featured someone who looked
a lot like Phil Daniels circa "Quadrophenia", who seemed to spend most of
the film walking up and down hills, dressed in a big anorak (yes ...
ANORAK!) with a fur trimmed hood. Isobel was in the film too, playing a
character which (seemed) to be pretty much what I expected Isobel to be
like. Stuart was also in the film, dressed in a white short sleeved shirt
and a skinny black tie, and played some slightly dodgy crime boss or
something. (Don't think "new wave" - think "book-keeper circa 1955")
Actually .... the film was a little disappointing as it meandered a bit ...
leaving me with the oh-so-clichd "thank God it was only a dream" reaction
when I awoke.

***CARDIE***
Today I will buy myself an acrylic zip-up cardie. (No doubt people won't be
able to work out why the hell I'm wearing it .... which will reinforce in
the midset of the people I work with that I am some sort of sullen
axe-murderer)

***NME/PRIMAL SCREAM/STUART MURDOCH***
Don't listen to the NME. A word from the wise. I remember reading the NME
when I was 17 and thinking it was the be all and end all of what was cool.
It was a good way to find out about new bands ... but after a few years I
got so sick of their "build 'em up .... tear 'em down" philosophy I stopped
reading it all together. Although of course i will buy the one with Stuart
on the cover. I can think of lots of great bands who got so much hype at one
point in their career (Gene, Geneva, Ultrasound ...) who can't get arrested.
People may disagree with me, but I think Geneva's "Weather Underground" is
one of the finest albums this year, nd apaort from a few grudgingly good
reviews, there has been NOTHING about it in the UK rock press. Whereas two
years ago they were media darlings. I can almost GUARANTEE that the new
Belle & Sebastian album .... no matter how brilliant ... will get a fair few
bad reviews, just because it is no doubt time for the scheduled backlash.
And look at the about turn on Travis?? Remember how "The Man Who" got really
bad reviews from most magazine, but ended up album of the year in lots of
the same magazines polls. Anyway .... this was going to be about Primal
Scream. Much as I do like 'XTRMNTR' (not a patch on "Sonic Flower Groove"
though) I was a little annoyed that on an 11 track album there were only 6
new songs. Of couse, 'Swastica Eyes' is on the album twice, and both vrsions
were also released on the single. 'MVB Akestra' had been released
previously, as had 'Insect Royalty'. (And you don't see B&S putting "Slow
Graffiti" on the new album, do you?) So, much as Bobby likes to talk the
talk, I would debat whether "the kids" got a good deal of the new album.
Whereas our beloved B&S are unlikely to offer ANY album tracks as single,
and similarly would be unlikely to put pointless remixes on the b-sides of
singles.

***THE SMITHS***
It's nice to see that a few people on the list are getting into The Smiths.
I got REALLY into The Smiths when I was 17, in 1992, and quite frankly, they
completely changed my life. I bought "If You're Feeling Sinister" I '97
based solely on the sleeve, which reminded me of a Smiths 7". And B&S were
the first band since The Smiths to have such an all-consuming effect on me.
Anyway ... another piece of advice ... don't get sucked into the myth that
The Smiths were the *only* decent guitar band of the '80s. B&S fans should
find something to enjoy in the music of The Pale Fountains, The Go-Betweens,
Orange Juice, early Aztec Camera, Felt (of course) Josef K etc. (And if
anyone is actually interested in hearing any of these bands I'm happy to
rustle up a mix tape for you ... one priviso that all 1200 don't ask for one
... not that anyone is likely to care.)

***THE MODERN LOVERS***
I was out to dinner with my lovely, but non-pop loving fiance Vanessa last
night, and I was telling her about The Modern Lovers. I was siting "Pablo
Picasso" as a brilliant example of rhyming "asshole" with "Pablo Picasso".
Of couse, as luck would have it, I said "asshole" a little too loudly just
at the point where everyone else in the restaurant decided to be quiet for a
second. And then this guy started giving me funny looks, and I thought I had
offended him, and that he was going to get up and punch me for profaining in
a public place. He came over to me and said "are you talking about Jonathan
Richman?" and we talked about pop for the next half an hour. Great when that
happens.

***JARROD SAN ANGEL***
Jarrod - I hope that the last few days fracas hasn't put you off the list,
and I hope you don't think we're all bastards. Welcome ..... anyway, and
hope things go smoothly from hereon in. (Oh, and you have impeccable taste
in music by the way .....)

***THE FILMS OF HAL HARTLEY***
There is a fantastic film festival on in Auckland at the moment ... and I'm
lovin' it. Last night I saw Hal Hartley's "The Book Of Life" for the second
time, which was brilliant - It's a pre-millenium affair about Chrsit and
Satan having it out in Soho bar. As a Christian myself (and please don't
mock me for it .....) I found it a far more sympathetic portrayal of Jesus
than anything you're likely to hear in Church on any given Sunday morning.Go
and see it - all of you!

***LUKE HAINES***
Anyone taken by recent Black Box Recorder songs should, at great haste,
check out The Auteurs - espacially "New Wave" and "Now I'm A Cowboy". The
man is a genuis.

***THE END***
On hindsight this has gone on far too long, but it just means I won't have
to post again for a fortnight now ......

Take care everyone,

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme