Sinister: legal man

mattwardfhnn at xxx.com> mattwardfhnn at xxx.com>
Sun May 21 06:35:12 BST 2000

Got my Legal Man single (CD) in the mail yesterday, listened to it quite a
few times since then.

Legal Man itself reminds me of, say, Taxman era Beatles. I enjoy hearing B&S
rock a little more than usual, nice break from all the wonderfully sweet and
fragile songs. Nice, witty, humorous lyrics. I doubt it has what it takes to
be top-40 (too old sounding, not enough cussing or fake drum beats), but,
hell, I enjoy it.

Judy is a Dick Slap is fun, although the fact that it's an instrumental
(which I remembered reading once I had heard the song) was slightly
disappointing. I was hoping for some dick-slapping lyrics, maybe explaining
why Judy has found herself in such a posistion. Anyway, reminds me of
something, say, Fountains of Wayneish, because of the analog synths and the
upbeatness.

Winter Wooksie is nice, although it doesn't seem like the "typical b&s" that
someone claimed it to be. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Reminds
me of White Album era Beatles, like something John Lennon would have
written. The melody, maybe the instrumentation too...

Anyway, may I also mention that it's nice to hear a B&S song that has a
little more of an emphasized base line? The drums are nice too, and I like
the sitar (?) at the beginning of Legal Man.

Glad to have it, thoroughly enjoying it, well worth the 5.50 + 2 shipping
and handling from CDNow.

Feel free to right in support of my wonderful opinions.