Sinister: please find me somebody to live

Michael Simanoff mike at xxx.net
Mon May 22 03:04:29 BST 2000

Hi all -- first post. I'm a B&S fan in the heart of New York CIty, home of
some decent music and three restaurants for every set of lips.

OK, so there's a lot of talk about the new album, and this has been done to
death BUT. I've taken to not judging, because while I loved Tigermilk and
Sinister and all the little EPs at first listen, I really didn't like TBWTAS
when I first heard it. Why, don't know why. But after a few more listens I
soon began to consider that it might even be The Best. The only song I
immediately liked (Sleep the Clock Around) is now my least favorite song on
the album. Maybe the group is maturing, diversifying, experimenting, but I
think it's all going fine. I mean, the way Space Boy Dream goes into Dirty
Dream #2, I love that.

About the popularity argument -- I'm not going to get into my own personal
opinions, cuz I don't really have any, but I do chuckle when I realize that
pop no longer means popular. I don't attach value either way to the word
popular... but then again I do enjoy the irony of a pop band being
unpopular, which exposes the vast machine of the music industry which
promotes and rewards a lot of stuff that's just um Crap.

And to add something new to the group, I just thought I'd like to say that,
although I'm American, I grew up in London and my favorite song when I was
growing up and glued to the telly watching Top of the Pops was that Dead or
Alive song, "you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby
right round round round" or something to that effect. It still echoes in my
mine and I can see the lead singer from Dead or Alive, with his massive
hair, sometimes in my dreams. Shudder.

Oh, and I think I saw John Cale in Barnes and Noble the other day.

Nice to meet you all.

Mike

---
Mike Simanoff