Sinister: the loneliness of a 12" single

craigrm craigrm at xxx.uk
Mon May 22 16:32:36 BST 2000

Afternoon all,

Just a quick message as I'm at work and feel oddly naughty posting when I
should be working on ... ummm..... really important stuff.

Thanks to everyone at the picnic and 2000TT, I had a great time even if I
sucked at football.

Anyway the purpose of this post, the Legal Man review from NME.... I think
it's appearing in this weeks magazine but sorry if I've got my dates screwed
up and everyone's already seen this. I'm not sure who the reviewer is but I
think they've been chatting to Mr Wells.

Luv,
Craig x

Belle & Sebastian
Legal Man(Jeepster)

Is that the sound of wailing in the distance? Do what you must now - sit down,
sup on a cup of strong tea, suspend your disbelief - because B&S have some
shocking news. It seems we had them wrong all along - in reality they've
always hankered after the fickle tummy rub of commercial success. Doubtful?
Well in a press release written by the band's own Stevie Jackson, the truth
comes out. "This record has been designed for the pop singles market and every
care has been taken at the mastering stage to ensure it sounds good on the
radio... We are supposed to be a pop band after all." Pausing only to let
those of a gentle disposition compose themselves, and to allow the further
shocking revelation that this has, in fact, been the credo behind all their
other releases, we must inform you it features an electric sitar, drumming
that can only be described as rollicking, innocent '60s harmonies detailing an
average love affair, and a breezily fluttering tune. Some things never change
though, because while their newly-professed love of the green might be a
ground-shaking indie moment, obviously 'Legal Man' is still as gormlessly twee
as a grown adult wearing a Teletubby backpack.