Sinister: my voice!

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Tue May 23 04:22:21 BST 2000

Hi there Sinister & Peculiarly Deranged Split-Personality Martian Alice,

> i wasn't insulted. the person who wrote it quotes oasis, ocs and the
> stereophonics as their favourite bands.

... admittedly, a tenuous link to the following ...
It has come to my attention that Andy Bell has joined Oasis as their bass
player.  I know this news is over 6 months old and has nothing to do with
Belle and Sebastian, but it just came to my attention recently and I
cannae join the vapourtrail list now that Ride has vanished.  I must get
my anguish out somewhere!  I believe someone commented on this earlier but
I didn't have the proper context to make sense of the remark. In reexamining
the press for Ride on the internet, I realized that Andy was not just the
pretty one.  Depending on whether the reporter just cared about looks and
charisma or had spitefully decided that that was the sure mark of lack of
talent, Andy was the hero or the villain. But really there was neither -
as usual, besides which the evidence for deciding the question was all
wrong.  Andy wrote some of my favorite Ride songs, i.e.  Like a Daydream
and Vapour Trail.  And I never even saw them live, and Ride is, was the
kind of band where it would make a difference. And now he's a bass player!
For Oasis!

Something funny about reading old press though.  People really aspired to
rock god status.  Now hardly anyone - the reporters, the bands, the fans -
can take it seriously anymore.

Rock music videos.  Remember Ian in The Cutter?  That polo shirt buttoned
all the way to the top - the origin of office boy chic?  Nah, you're all
too young.

I giggle whenever someone makes a joke in class about people taking drugs.
What if people think it's cos I take them?  I had better stop.

Well my copy of Legal Man finally arrived.  I think it's a good new
direction for them to take.  I like the fact that they're delving again
into electronic music.  The person who analyzed the components of Judy is
a Dick Slap was very clever.  I don't get any of your references, but I
understand what you mean.  Early electronic music was really cool.  I got
Autobahn by Kraftwerk recently and it's lovely.  And it's over 22 minutes
long, and perfectly fine as long as it is.  I think with electronic music,
the song has to be long enough for you to lose track of beginnings and
ends, and repetition with variation can be interesting if it's random and
unexpected.  Whereas guitar-based songs should be loud and fast and short,
except Ride is the perfect counterexample to this.  And it's interesting
for Stuart to try out different vocal styles, even though he always sounds
the same!

Yours,
Youn