Sinister: Dick? Slap?

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Tue May 23 14:17:46 BST 2000

> From the sleeve, it looks like The Loneliness Of A Middle
>Distance Runner will be the next single, and I love this song to bits,
>so I hope it's a good recording.

Check the date on the letter, Robin.  October 1998.  But yes, I really hope it's
going to come out anyway.  It's having songs like this on tape that makes being
a B&S track-grubber worthwhile.  TWO AND A HALF YEARS I'VE HAD THAT SONG and it
still sounds as fresh as ever.  My sister heard it and made me insist I made a
tape of it for her.

The thing is, they haven't had a chart-eligible single since Autumn 1997.  They
are now popular enough for any single of theirs to make a BIG CHART IMPACT, so
for me it's a real shame that it's happening with 'Legal Man'.  If a whole bunch
of people got their first taste of the band through a song as strong as
'Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner' I'd be over the moon.  Call me naive,
but I daydream about people hearing that song on the radio or seeing it on TOTP
and them falling in love with it.  People who have never heard of Belle &
Sebastian before.  People who 'never normally listen to that sort of thing'.  It
really mattering.  I think it could have happened.  Now they'll be forever
thought of as 'the band that did that Sixties style song'.

Nick xx