Sinister: And All Those Songs, Like Crystal Balls

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Tue May 23 14:52:51 BST 2000

...Dismantled King, you know I love them all

Dear Sinisterines,
	I just read Nick Dastoor's post about Legal Man as the single
v. Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner as the single, and I have
to agree to some extent. Loneliness really is one of my favorite
songs by B&S, and hearing it on tape and seeing them play it live is
amazing. I think something like that would resound well with people,
you know? And I remember Stuart M saying once that it's the best song
they'd written. So why not put it out? = (   It could be as they say,
they just can't bang out a recording they like. Or maybe they're sick
of old songs and they're excited about new ones. It seems a shame
though that some beautiful songs have fallen by the wayside. As much
as I fiendishly collect unreleased songs and bootlegs of B&S (unlike
most bands) I don't want any of them to stay that way. Everyone
should get to enjoy songs like Loneliness, or the much-maligned Rhoda
which is really quite nice. Someday when I'll have probably lost most
of my hair, we'll get a chance to hear some proper, cleaned up master
versions of some of those songs. On a B&S boxset or somesuch
collection. Or maybe there will be a second single, that'd be great.
Are you Jeepster people listening?
	But I do really like Legal Man, and it's quirky so it
deserves some hit potential. You never know, maybe the backlash is so
bad by now Loneliness would have gotten crushing reviews from the
press as well. I'm really pleased with Judy and her being a Dick
Slap. Initially when I heard the words "soul-sounding,"
"instrumental," and "Belle & Sebastian," together, I instantly
thought "the Tigermilk instrumental." But I guess it doesn't have any
of that in it, unless it's in the 12" which I do intend to get.
Hmmm...I love the soft piano song bit. It sounds like one of Felt's
short instrumentals done entirely by Martin Duffy. Like "Magellan,"
that reminds me of the soft Dick Slap part a lot. And the first part
is a bit Stereolabby. Not so much as Slap the Cock Around when you
speed it up, but pleasingly so, regardless. I almost think it might
end up being one of the best parts of the single. I for one adore
instrumentals, although I think they fit better as the occasional
track on an album to mix things up. They do make excellent B-sides,
though, as we can see. I wonder if they just shoved a bunch of
unfinished songs together and called them Judy Is a Dick Slap? Winter
Wooskie's lovely as ever if a bit short. Overall I like the single a
lot. It's not what I might have imagined in regards to B&S, but I
think that's good.
	I feel like I should say something about life outside of
Belle & Sebastian. Like some witty comment about my friends in
#sinister. But I wouldn't know what to say, to be honest. And my
life...eh, it's not so exciting. Kind of depressing at the moment
really. I didn't sleep at all last night, and I've apparently been
having "anxiety attacks" as I sleep, where my heart starts racing and
I'm breathless for a time. Must have something to do with graduating
soon and sitting around without doing anything all day, and worrying
about getting a job. Anyone hiring a web designer in the middle of
nowhere? Oh, no? What a surprise. I got my cap and gown and all that
yesterday. Bleh. Alright, well I've sated my need for something
personal to say. Oh, and our computer over at my radio station isn't
working and it doesn't look like anyone's going to get off their
behind to fix it. I certainly have no idea how to do it. So as a
consequence I won't be doing a radio show if anyone happened to
notice that in my last message and wondered. Well, I have things to
do, must get rid of some of this anxiety, I guess.

	Hanging out with all those Jesus freaks,

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>