Sinister: All I want is to be a trumpet line in a Pale Fountains song

Paul Field Paulfie at xxx.uk
Tue May 23 15:24:13 BST 2000

Hello friends and enemies. Well, I don't think any of you are enemies
actually, but you never know. You can't be too careful these days. Just
because you're paranoid it doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you. Is
that a quote from somebody? It's not an original thought of mine, that's for
sure. The only original thoughts I have are centered around food and drink.

Oh. A Belle and Sebastian story: (I am surprised I have never shared this
before...unless I have and I'm being a complete gibbon)

Many moons ago before I had taken up residence in the sinister village...if
my memory serves me correctly sometime around February 1998, I was working
for Marks and Spencers at their offices on Baker Street. One exceedingly
dull day with around ½ hour left until the drudgery was over for the day and
I decided to go downstairs to the smoking room for a final cigarette. So,
there I am sitting with a cup of disgusting coffee and a cigarette mulling
over the days events and feeling a little strange. I began singing Belle and
Sebastian songs in my head, and what should pop into my head but "The state
I am in". The room had around 10 people in it...it had a capacity of around
100, so it was quite empty. Feeling silly and I guess slightly sinister, I
stood up and began to turn the tables around. Of course, nobody got it. They
just looked at me and began to smoke very, very quickly....seemingly wanting
to get out of my way as soon as possible. I got many funny looks walking
around the office for months afterwards.

Did anybody notice the subject of this post? Isn't it lovely? No, I am not
being conceited, it's not mine. On Sunday I got home to London after having
had a holiday in lovely Greece visiting our fellow sinisterine, velocity
girl. Whilst she was Djing one evening (great DJ by the way...better music
than anywhere I know of in London) one her friends turned to me...I think
vel may have been playing "just a girl"....and said this to me. My heart
rose and sank simultaneously. I just thought it was such a beautiful thing
to say.

My time in Greece was fantastic. Let me assure you all that velocity girl is
even better in person than in print. Such a great girl with great friends
who made me feel so welcome. And made me drink ouzo....urgh! So, I did miss
the sinister picnic but that was ok as we had a little picnic of our own and
how many at the London picnic had a swim? I was out there for a few days
before I was joined by Mr. Richard Pushong (that lucky git is still there).
So, there was 3 of us...does this constitute a picnic? I reckon it does. And
spooky the dog, who should be made an honorary member of sinister. She is
the craziest and coolest dog in the world. She dances to the television
personalities, is terrified of the NME and rides a scooter. I tell no lies.
And if you say "Steven Wells" to her she bites your ankles and makes them
bleed. Now I tell lies. I think. I never actually tried it, maybe she does.

Anyway, I could go on forever about Greece but I don't want to bore you all
rigid so I will leave it there.

Love and Feta cheese
Paul.