Sinister: D'oh

David White david at xxx.uk
Tue May 23 23:07:28 BST 2000

Greetings,

**NME**

I bought this weeks NME to read the Stuart M interview and I have to say I'm
a bit pissed off about it (the NME not the interview in particular). I used
to buy the NME every week five or six years ago but stopped for a reason I
can't honestly remember and I couldn't help but notice that these days they
seem to be obsessed about politics in music. Feck that. I listen to music
cos it makes me feel good or cos it holds memories for me not cos I want to
be preached to by a bunch of tossers who happen to have a record contract. I
remember a few years ago a mate of mine used to say that music like Blur's
'Girls & Boys' which I was listening to in the car at the time was shit cos
the lyrics didn't mean anything worthwhile and didn't have any message and
that really annoyed me. Surely there is more to music than as a medium for
spreading a political or moral message. The whole attitude of the NME in the
interviews I read (which were the ones with Stuart M and with the Super
Furry Animals) was that a band must have some axe to grind in their lyrics
with frequent references to Primal Scream and Asian Dub Foundation both of
whom I choose not to listen to (although Screamadelica is cool). I get
enough fecking politics everytime I open a newspaper or turn on the telly
without having to hear it on the radio or on CDs that I buy.
I like Belle and Sebastian cos they make nice music. It may not start a
revolution or encourage people to 'reclaim the streets' but it makes a train
journey more pleasant and is enjoyable to listen to after a day of stress
and that's all I want.

**Legal Man Video**

Oh dear, it's a bit shit is it not. I love the song but the video sucks. It
is just a mess. I'm afraid it looks like it was thrown together without much
in the way of an idea behind it. I've never been a huge fan of videos for
songs. I reckon once you've seen the video, the song tends to be forever
tainted with that particular image though I hope I can erase the Legal Man
video from my mind while listening to the song. I agree with whoever said
it's like the Spice Girls 'Wannabe' but it's not even as good as that. It's
too messy, too many people in the shot and too much to distract from the
band and the song (although this may be deliberate.) I hope the song does
really well in the charts and gets the band the success they deserve but I
don't think the video will do them any favours.

**New Album**

I'm really looking forward to June 5th. I can't remember the last time I was
looking forward to the day an album was released, must be getting old cos it
used to happen regularly or maybe the music these days just isn't as good as
it was back then. Hmm next I'll be saying that the music on Top of the pops
all sounds the same (come to think of it...).

Right that's about 15 minutes up,

<<Dave>>

PS visit www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk and contribute to the ever
growing but still slightly 'sad' Discussion board
PPS I'm currently in the process of updating the aforementioned site and
need ideas from YOU as to what should be added/removed from the current site
as I want it to reflect what the fans want. I'm also looking for people to
write reviews of their favourite tracks/albums/EPs/memories etc. so feel
free to contribute.
david at belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk