Sinister: the lonliness of a New Zealand B&S fan

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed May 24 06:44:27 BST 2000

For all the people who, unlike me, won't lower their standards and buy the
'nu-metal' fanzine known as "Melody Maker", I have transcribed the
highlights (ie. everything minus the tiresome attempts at humour by the
hacks at said magazine) of their "Famous last Words" column from last week,
featuring the lyrics for 'Legal Man'

***L-O-V-E LOVE***
Do the lyrics of 'Legal man' point to a new hippy direction for Belle and
Sebastian? "I'd just been to see Al Green play" says Isobel "and my
favourite song was 'LOVE Love', so that influenced me when I wrote the
lyric. Anyway, what's hippy about love?" Stuart: "Love is all around".

***IT'S COMING BACK***
"I sat around desperately trying to write a hit single" Stevie explains "and
I had this line 'Love it's going away' and I thought it had to be more
positive, it took me two and a half minutes to write the lyrics".

***LEGAL MAN***
No arch irony here, as Staurt explains: "The rest of the lyrics are in
context, it is about a legal man".
That's it ... so from that it's difficult to construe whether Stuart had any
involvement in the writing at all, or whether is't purely an Isobel/Stevie
song. Either way ... I'd like to know. I think it's a bit sad that we get so
little Staurt on this single. I'd also like to add my thoughts to the
'Lonliness' debate. I think it may be a deliberate ploy to release the
single AFTER the album. I think 'Legal Man' is more likely to generate
interest, rather than chart success. The album will (I'm sure) get good
reviews, and after it is relased, when more people know about the band, they
can release a "chartbuster" single. At least ... that;s what I hope will
happen.

Goodnight all ....

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme