Sinister: the pain of being a helpless unbeliever

Alexander Bartilson alexander.bartilson at xxx.com
Sun May 28 15:58:55 BST 2000

Hi,
saw Salako and Looper yesterday and thought I'd tell you something about the night.

I've never been to the place before and it was rather nice. And the people there seemed nice. But I didn't see anyone with Belle & Sebastian t-shirts or badges or anything.

Anyway, was a bit disappointed with the DJ. Or rather with the music he played. Thought that WHEN they played Legal Man I'd get up and dance my feet off. Not really.

But they didn't play Legal Man, they didn't even play B & S.

Well, concerning the concerts.

Salako entered the stage around 23.30. They asked in anyone had heard of a band called Salako. Nobody said anything, including me. Guess I'm too shy/twee. Then they started playing and they were great, really great.
There was some punters in front of the stage who was totally crazy. One of them started clapping his hand before a song started and the singer said that if he wanted to clap his hand could he please do it in time to the music. He couldn't. Later another maniac started to mix with the base players pedals. The singer told the guy to stop or he would come down and smack his face. That was fun. Then a guard came and removed the two punters.

Looper was great too. They started with some songs that I can imagine are from the first album. I don't have the first and have ordered the second but not received it yet. The songs were spoken-words songs so that's why I think they were from the first album. Anyway, those first songs were a bit dull live. But then they played Mondo '77 followed by "on the flipside", "cut your money hair" and some other songs that I can't remember right now. Those songs really rocked. It was great.

I bought a Salako t-shirt and some badges. One (badge) that says "Jeepster own my soul" and another one with the "disques Jeepster international" logo found on the "legal man".

Anyway, it was a great night.

About the sinister t-shirt. Maybe it should say "To be or not to be Twee". Or is that just ridiculous. yeah it probably is.

///Alexander