Sinister: Strange things afoot in Olde Lundin Towne

Craig craigrm at xxx.uk
Mon May 29 15:29:59 BST 2000

Well imagine my surprise.

There I was wandering through a sunny Covent Garden, effortlessly weaving my
way amongst large stationary groups of tourists when all of a sudden I came
upon several impressive piles of PA equipment bedecked with gay bunting &
banners proclaiming that I'd stumbled upon a BBC Live event.

After enduring the TV ads for a few weeks I thought it was only fair that I
hang around for a bit to see what was up. All of a sudden Jo Whiley appeared
on the balcony above, the pre-recorded crowd roared its approval and the
speaker stacks then kicked into life blaring out "Legal Man" in all it's
glory.  The ever polite Jo congratulated the band on reaching the giddy
heights of number 15 (no thanks to the 23 second video clip she played on
her show last week) and I smiled happily. The crowd didn't seem at all moved
though, and to be perfectly honest the song did sound a bit feeble when
played outdoors at high volume, so it's probably just as well the
Glastonbury rumours aren't true.

I'd have been happy to leave it at that, but then things took a rather
surreal twist as Jay Kay (he of Jamaroqi fame) appeared next to Jo and
started rapping over the top of Legal Man. It was all a bit messy and quite
frankly embarrassing for the poor lad as his funk clogged brain had decided
to re-interpret the song as a pro-cannabis anthem ("Legalise it Man" -
perhaps ?) and so he randomly ranted on about "making it legal". He also
called for the banning of alcohol which would tend to indicate that he's a
nutter. They then did a few of their songs for the generally apathetic crowd
so I left to get on with my life.

All in all it was quite strange.

Travelling without moving since 1970,
Craig x