Sinister: Bank holiday comes six times a year

Hester, Mark (ELS) m.hester at xxx.uk
Tue May 30 13:33:24 BST 2000

Strange things Bank holidays.  Very British.  Invented by some Liberal MP
called John Lubbock in the last-but-one century, they are a capital idea,
but I wish they could have more imaginative names, like commemorating events
or people in history like they do in many countries.  Anyway, Oxford is a
little bizarre because there are large numbers of people here whose
employers don't recognise them and so their employees have to scowl and
swelter indoors whilst everyone else is enjoying themselves.  I made the
mistake of asking two friends what they were going to do and received the
vitriolic response "Grrr...I'm working"  The students of the older of the
two Universities here also have to work like any other day, but with three
eight-week terms and huge long vacations they don't tend to get the same
levels of sympathy.

Anyway yesterday was a  bank holiday and I went as I always do to Fun in the
Parks, an event at South Park, Headington.  Maybe it was the mood I was in
at the time, but it didn't seem as good as in previous years.  The funfair
seemed smaller and there wasn't the usual plethora of stalls of various
local worthy organizations with tombola, plant and book sales etc.  But
there was at least a BBC Music Live stage where a folk band called Back of
Beyond were playing.  Usually I don't go for this sort of music, but they
were really good, playing songs from every continent (with one obvious
exception, penguins and well-wrapped geological researchers not being noted
for their songwriting prowess).  I remember one song from Burundi and one
from Bhutan called 'Mountain song'.

Time to reply to a few people now....

>WEB COMMUNITY

Caroline, I don't get embarrassed about being on the list and I don't know
anyone who does, but I must concede that I do get occasional comments about
it being "a bit sad".  I think such comments can be attributed to jealousy;
they are typically made by people who don't have an interest which they
share with lots of people that would warrant the creation of a list and so
they are denied the opportunity to make new friends all over the world.

>SING-SING

Haven't heard any of their stuff...sorry.  Bit out of touch, which members
of Lush are in Sing-Sing?  Miki and Emma?  Lush changed their sound quite a
bit in their career didn't they?  The later stuff was more polished and
immediate and a good deal more chirpy..."Single Girl", "Ladykiller" etc.

> 'Family Twee', you see, had its 'controversial' lyrics penned by Stuart
himself.
In what way controversial, Nick?  I can imagine more people finding 'Chalet
Lines' controversial.

>I also wish to join the crowd that wants The Loneliness of a Middle
Distance Runner to
>be officially released,
ooh, yes me too.  I so want it to be the next single, but I can well
understand if the band makes us wait a little longer.  After all, we had to
wait a long time for the release of Tigermilk on CD.

I am going to have to unsubscribe soon, but only temporarily, as I'm going
to Canada for three weeks from 8th-28th June inclusive and much as I'd love
to, I know I won't be able to read all the messages that will accrue in that
time.  I have mentioned this to some of you already, but if there are any
listees in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa or (bit of a long shot, this) Thunder
Bay who would like to meet up, listen to some B&S etc. then please e-mail me
privately and I'll let you have details of my itinerary.  There'll be much
travelling about on the Greyhound to begin with, including a trip to
Niagara.  I intend to go to the BlowUp and International Colouring Contest
club nights in Toronto, but as yet I don't have many definite plans.

My next post will have a subject line containing a band name completely
unrelated to what follows.  Cue chant of "Copycat, copycat I know what
you're playing at".
Bye for now,
Mark.

Mark Hester