Sinister: One tryst with me and you'll be Pope

Andrew Tracey andrewt at xxx.com
Tue May 30 19:22:44 BST 2000

Hello one and all

I've been feeling a bit depressed recently. Or, more correctly, a bit of me
has recently been depressed - my cheekbone. There I was, one Saturday night,
quietly minding my own business, walking into town for an evening of fun and
frolics, when a group of lads took umbrage to something about me (most
probably my opposable thumbs) and one of them got me with a right hook.
Totally apropos of nothing. Not even a genuine air of hostility or an aura
of approaching confrontation. I managed to get away before any more damage
was done but the question is this....

Once a c*nt, always a c*nt????

The bloke who hit me couldn't have been more than 18 or 19. Now, when I was
a teenager, I was a bit of an arsehole. Nothing violent or thuggish, just
generally a bit of a twat (listening to Metallica, laughing at the Mary
Whitehouse Experience, that sort of thing). I am now a model citizen -
helping old ladies across the road, tut-tutting at kids swearing, that sort
of thing. Will my local cheekbone-smasher similarly develop into someone who
I could maybe have a quiet pint with someday, or is his path to total moral
bankruptcy set in stone?

Have any members of the collected Sinister massive left behind a tempestuous
youth of badness (genuine badness - violence, criminal acts) and drifted
into the lagoon of civil responsibility? If not, is there a case to be made
along the lines of "It's obvious who the troublemakers are from an early
age, so why don't we just slit their throats when they're 16?". Or is that a
bit harsh?

In my defence, someone did leave a copy of the Daily Mail on the train this
morning and I read it. I feel so unclean.

Other news - B+S probably on TopofthePopPickersMate this Friday. Bugger. The
one Friday I actually have a social life and will be out of the house
(gokarting, if you must know). Also, S Club 7's song is fab. And Steps are
releasing a slow song!!!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

The NME thing - Don't get too worked up about Steven Wells. If I worked on
the NME I'd slag off everyone just to annoy people. Especially Primal
Scream. But especially those wankers on the Sinister list.

FHM 100 fittest women thing - Where on earth is the woman who puts the watch
into Watchdog - Charlotte Hudson? (As opposed to Anne Robinson, who
contributes the rest of the show's title). Isn't she just totally lovely?

For those.....who haven't yet taken heed of all those financial people
telling you to build up a nestegg for your retirement and are short of long
term investment - get your money on Spain for Euro 2000.

I'm rambling again, aren't I?