Sinister: Two-kenneth

Harry Hunt jamesmcsuperman at xxx.com
Tue May 30 09:36:28 BST 2000

> Does anyone have a hang-up that there's something wrong with people who
> are on lots of email lists and got to chat rooms ? I don't mean to
> offend anyone, but I'm a bit embarrassed about being on a list. Its a
> good list, its just that my friends would think it a bit sad...sorry
> (please don't all email me and tell me to "piss off then").

Remarkable self-awareness, that you know it's a hangup to be prejudiced, or
at all ashamed.  Shame is for the WEAK.  Pride and shame only make you more
fragile.

People use the "why don't you get some REAL friends" argument a lot, when I
discuss the net.  It's like, I've got real friends, it's just they live all
over the world, giving me a broader outlook, and somewhere to live, wherever
I visit.  The net has done TERRIBLE damage to some relationships I've had,
putting me in utter disdain of trying to sort ANYTHING serious out over the
net.

The alternatives for a shy one are painfully few, in a backward town, when
you have no mates.  It's alright, when you have one or few hangers-on, from
your schooldays, but if you're alone, and don't really fancy joining a
sports club or a dungeons and dragons gang, it's a bit crap.  You have to
take advantage of every social notion, not just those that are considered
acceptable by your peers.

It's not a substitute for friends, people don't USE it as a substitute,
people use it as an alternative and a supplement.

Well, I do.  Hmm.  I'm not ashamed of anything, except peeing in a cup and
throwing it into my neighbour's yard when I was 10.

Love
Harry