Sinister: Night falls like a grand piano.

Julie Sauer jules at xxx.cx
Wed May 31 05:37:25 BST 2000

Life in PA drones on.  My job hunt has produced two interviews tomorrow,
one of which is for a job which pays $13 an hour.  This, pardon my French,
is fucking ludicrous in this town.  That's more than twice what I made
when I worked at the Waldenbooks in the mall and tried to force every
customer to buy Dorothy Parker poetry and Invitation To A Beheading (to no
avail, they still walked out with the latest Oprah book) .  So wish me
luck.  Speaking of the mall, I went there today to drop off a roll of film
in K Mart and was suddenly reminded that northeastern PA has its own
dialect, and Hazleton's is even distinct from the rest of the coal region.
I heard the word "hayna" used in conversation.  "Hayna" is a request for
affirmation, and in speech it sounds like "henna".  Example: "Cold for
this time of year, hayna?  Pass the pitza."  Pitza is another Hazleton
only word...it's completely different from pizza.  Pitza is, as far as I
know, only made by two bakeries, Senape's and Longo's, and Senape's is the
real stuff.  It's basically cold, square pizza, sold in boxes with two
layers of the greasy stuff.  But, damn, it's good.  It's properly consumed
with Farmer's Ice-Tea.  A true Hazletonian meal.  Someone pointed out to
me a
while back that there's actually a Coalspeak dictionary online
(www.coalregion.com/speak.htm), and it's pretty accurate, but they've got
a few definitions wrong and I have too much of my pride left to correct
them.
Now, all this talk of PA/Jersey meetups!  Well, after the first post I
sent bitching about this godforsaken state, several nice listees emailed
me with prospective ways to spend my time, one of which was the We Rule
The School dj night in Philly on the 7th I think.  I forgot who actually
told me about it, and I forgot the specifics, and the email magically
disappeared from my inbox all on its own. But anyway, if there are enough
of us in eastern
PA/Jersey/DE to warrant a meetup, why don't we just meet up there?  But as
a warning, my loyalties still lie with the New Yorkers.  :o)
Laura Llew, Mcmcmc claims that Kyle Maclachlan was just on the Daily Show
talking about performing Shakespeare naked.  And Ben has realized that you
can't spell "street" without ree.  Fuckin' A, who needs a tv when you have
the #sinister peeps, hayna??   I wuv you all.

xoxo
Julie