Sinister: Judy, drinks and TOTP

Halliday, Ian ian at xxx.com
Wed May 31 07:57:55 BST 2000

How many other songs mention Judy?

The Stranglers had a song called Punch and Judy, the Ramones said
something about Judy if I remember correctly while of course Judy
featured as the main character in the Boomtown Rats' "Rat Trap" of fond
memory.

I think the new Judy melody is a very catchy little thing and I wait
patiently here in New Zealand for the new album to arrive here. Surely
it will be a wondrous day!

New Zealand doesn't make much impact on the world's stage, but you
trendy and not so trendy sinisterenes should keep an eye or two open for
an exciting beverage to be launched in the big and important parts of
the world. I have no financial interest at all in "V", a pleasant enough
beverage which you should not drink after 3pm if you are planning to
sleep that night. If I believe the NZ media (a dangerous thing to do at
any time) then the said "V" is about to be/has just been launched amid
great hype in Britain. Is this correct?

Finally, perhaps some of you old people like me who still listen to
"pop" music can help my tragically failing memory. In the old days, when
TOTP couldn't get the performer of a rising song or a halfway to decent
promo video, a group of scantily clad women called "Pan's People" would
dance to the song. After their demise, another outfit called "Legs & Co"
fulfilled the same role. But, for around two months in between, a
bizarre mixed-sex group danced ridiculous dances until the great British
public told them not to be so ridiculous and p.c. because dancing women
sell records and weird dancers don't. My question is, what were this lot
called? I think the name had "Kipper" in it, but I'm not sure. "Fish Co"
was a different something altogether, I think.

These days, do B&S ever furnish material for TOTP? It's not a well
promoted show here as far as I know, and everybody looks strangely at me
when I talk about B&S, still obviously a minority interest.

If you have read this far, thank you.

Ian
--
Ian W Halliday, BA Hons, MIMIS, ANZCS, ATMB, CL
http://www.baptism.co.nz