Sinister: People always bored me anyway

nicolson ian imn_uk at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 2 12:19:23 GMT 2000

Hardly any posts at all on All Saints Day - were you
all in church?  I understand that it might have been
difficult for those in England to actually get to a
computer, or maybe your computers have drowned, but
where were the rest of you?  Did you all have mad
Hallowe'en parties and were unable to stand staring at
flickery computer screens yesterday?
Just out of interest, after all that mad weather darn
sarf of late, is Autumn still allowed to be Sinister's
favourite season?  Of course some folks have come up
with a marvellous idea to ensure that the weather
doesn't get even worse in future years - cheaper
petrol! Hmm...

I'm currently recovering from a job interview of sorts
that I had this morning, which was the first proper
real life thing that I've done in months.  I've
decided that now is a good time to make the least of
my talents and take on a temporary job for a few
months which enables me to put off making any big
decisions for a bit longer.  This might not be the
right thing to do, but heck, I've made an artform out
of making the wrong decisions!  I've worked in this
place before, during summer breaks from university,
and then it was enough just to exist and have a bank
account for them to give you a job, but today I had to
do all kinds of mad tests on computers and stuff.  I
was expecting that they'd just want to make sure I
could hold a pencil.  "Jings!" I thought, "perhaps I
should have thought about this". I mean, many
oragnutangs could do the work if they put their minds
to it.  Not chimpanzees, though.  Too boisterous.
What made it worse was that I was wearing my smart
shoes, which although fantastic, make me walk like a
girl and hurt my feet very much indeed, so I'm kind of
hobbling around at the moment.

But, hey!, that's enough about me.  What have you been
up to?  Talking about Christmas songs from time to
time (or is that passe now?).  'O Come O Come
Emmanuel' was always more of an advent hymn than a
Christmas one in my book, although I could be
splitting hairs there.  But it was always one of my
faves as it is generally one of the first
Christmassy-type songs sung in churches two or three
weeks before Christmas, which made it dead exciting.
Flicking through my hymn book I notice that there are
five verses - will they do them all?  If so verse four
has a very poor rhyme indeed and for smuttiness, then
wait until you hear the first line of verse two!
Oo-er!

It seems very odd indeed to be writing of Christmas
songs when it hardly seems like any time at all since
I was listening to poets in tents during the summer.
Time's running and passing (etcetera...)  November
late afternoons in Edinburgh are so atmospheric.  The
low sun catches and illuminates the tenements and
tower-blocks of Leith.  It gets even better if the
weather's bad.  I'm feeling all Astral Weeks.

Fill the rest in yourselves...

Bye.