Sinister: If you ever need self-validation, its all over my face...

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Thu Nov 2 17:56:33 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem on my hands and I need some good advice.  I'm
into a girl thats been hurt very badly (I stress badly) in pretty much all
her serious relationships.  Eventhough we both really like each other and
have great times together, this obviously weighs heavily on her mind.  As a
result, she's absolutely terrified to open up to me emotionally or show me
any affection in the least, other than the fact that she keeps me around.  At
first I thought it was a problem with me, but now I realize its the thoughts
of the beasts that came before that are still hovering inside her head.
They've crushed her self-esteem and I have no idea what to do anymore.
My problem is two-fold: #1) we've only really hung out for a month, so we're
still very much trying to figure the other person out and what they're all
about, and #2) even when we do get a good thing going, her fears kind of put
the kabosh on what could be.  Its frustrating the living hell out of me
because I really, really like this girl but I'm trying to lay low and give
her all the time she needs to deal with whatever is on her mind.  Its like, I
want to show her affection and be there for her, which solves problem #1, but
problem #2 stands in the way.  I only get short snippets of what she's like
emotionally, like when she plays with her cat, and I know that if she opened
up to me, everything else would take care of itself (we're already completing
each others' sentences).
I know someone out there HAS to have gone through something like this and ANY
advice on how to approach it and things to keep in mind would be deeply
appreciated.  I'm so confused as to what would be the best thing to do: show
her affection and try to help build her self-esteem?  Stay away and give her
space?  Words?  Actions?  Both?  Neither?  For the first time in my life the
Smiths make more sense than anything else in the world.  Please help!

Steve C.

"Which Paul?" "BLAH!"

visit http://callowkids.tripod.com or your crush will hate you forever

Call WRNR 103.1 at (410) 269-1031 and request Callow's "Lessons in Shut-eye"
or you will have bad luck...forever or something.