Sinister: Heavenly Denim

Michael Cronshaw michael at xxx.net
Sat Nov 4 17:25:59 GMT 2000

Hello peeps

People have been talking about Heavenly & Go-Kart Mozart, so I thought I'd
write a bit about them, in case it's helpful for anyone:

Heavenly formed out of remains of Talulah Gosh, who have fairly recently
released a compilation of just about everything they recorded, called
Backwash. All Heavenly LPs are now available, except Heavenly vs Satan, but
aren't stocked in most record shops. Heavenly split after Mathew died, but
after a while, the rest of the band got back together to form Marine
Research, who should be releasing their second album soon, hopefully. Amelia
sings backing vocals on the new Hefner album, and Cathy is a TV producer and
also presents Scrapheap Challenge!

After Felt, Lawrence formed Denim before being Go-Kart Mozart. Denim's first
album, Back In Denim, was an excellent, slightly comical, retro 70s glam
rock style record, as was the second, On Ice. Then Lawrence got bored and
released Novelty Rock, an experimental novelty comedy rock record which
sounds like a collection of cheesy advert jingles. Reviews of Go-Kart
Mozart's album suggested that it was also in this style, so I gave up on
Lawrence, although I've heard rumours that he's going to return to his Felt
style and release an album on Alan McGee's new Poptones Internet label.

Oh, and I hope B&S release something soon too.

Michael