Sinister: you'd expect them to be *intelligent*

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Nov 13 20:45:30 GMT 2000

I noticed there's not been much List Traffic lately, so I thought I should
do my bit for bandwidth-wastage.  Beats work.  I *promise* I will put some
content in.

I was *really* pissed off today, so I need to cheer myself up.  I was at
work, you see, putting library books back on shelves, and I just got fed
up with the full-time staff who man the returns desk and put my books on a
trolley for me.  They always manage to give me books which belong in a
different part of the library, so I hand them back again, and they put
them on my trolley again, and we go round and round in circles until I end
up having a go at them and they complain that they're all far too busy to
pay attention to what they're doing.  Gnnaaargh.  I have to take my anger
out on the students who ask stupid questions.  I mean, this is a
University Library; you are *supposed* to be able to read signs, use
computers, and suchlike.   I want my trolley to have *big* spikes on the
front.

Another off-pissing thing:  I have lost my copy of IYFS.  I think the cat
must have eaten it; he tends to scatter them about the place.  He has
also managed to reboot the computer and type in Icelandic just by jumping
on the keyboard.  He didn't just type Ctrl+Alt+Del either, but did it
properly through the menus.  I shall have to persuade him to write my
thesis for me.

Incidentally, are there any listees living anywhere in the Western Isles?
My thesis supervisor was dropping little hints today that he'd like me to
take a trip to the Uists.  In February.  Personally, I don't think this is
a good idea, as I do not have enough suitable wooly clothes to be able to
wear five or six layers of them.

I saw recently that Jen (or was it?) had rocks thrown at her head.  Sounds
nasty.  The hard kids were never that hard in my day.  Back in the
nineties (ooh, nostalgia) the hard kids I used to avoid would just throw
insults.  The ones in the harder parts of town *had* rocks, but never
threw them for fear that the hard kids from our school would beat them up
by way of retribution.  Trespassing on their turf, as it were.  Everyone
at our school was Hard By Repute; the local paper would run headlines
about how we had caused riots in the town centre (at least one was
completely fictional, but never mind).

I, on the other hand, have Never Been Hard.  I still try to avoid the hard
kids, but I have tried to develop a Menacing Air to use when I can't.
It's not convincing, believe me.

Incidentally, I removed my beard the other month.  The damn thing's grown
back again.  Arse!  I must try to get the hang of getting up more than
five minutes before I have to go out in the morning, so I can retain my
baby-cheeked youthful whatsit.  The beard really wouldn't suit if I wanted
to go out one night wearing a dress.  Not that I do, but you never know.

(although, of course, I am severely under- and over-equipped in other
areas for that :-)

Anyway, I have to go: the cat is scratching at the door.  He must want
another bucket of cheap meat, or something.  Err, content.  Was the
missing IYFS copy enough?  No?  Errm -- I've been thinking about buying
the Gentle Waves album, because I pass it in a shop window every morning
on the way to the library.   However, if I do, the cat will try to eat it
or claw it to death within *seconds*.  Like he does to me, in fact.
Ta-taa.

--
Will Salt

ICQ 66321009