Sinister: What's the matter with just counting each one?

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Tue Nov 14 11:00:52 GMT 2000

Bonjour personnes de Sinistre.

What a weekend. I got drunk and made a fool of myself in front of a girl I
like (but that's prolly for the best if I'm going away for six months next
week), and I played so much pool I'm dreaming about it. I dreamt I was
playing pool in a deserted pub with an Irish list member (Nessa)who I know
(but have never seen). She was very good (at pool, that it), amd she kept on
beating me. Anyway...

I have a few things to say, but only one important one, and I'm afraid it
has very little to do with the mighty Scottish septet. I'll do the important
one first.

                    *** THE IMPORTANT BIT***
Some of you may remember that back in September I posted about a friend of
mine who got knocked down by a car, and was paralysed. I also said that it
probably wasn't a permanent thing, and that the men in white coats think
that he may walk again. Well hey: this weekend, following lots of physio
(which make him look very silly), he got out of his chair of his own accord!
Okay, so he took three steps and then kind of toppled into one of the docs,
but he found that hilariously funny, and I was just amazed that he did
anything at all. So yeah, uplifting stuff really, all round. After all the
shit, a couple of pidgeon steps make things so much better.

So that was the important bit. Well, important to me, and I like to share
these things. Here come a less important bit:

                       *** US ELECTION ***
I'm a bit bored of this farce of a democratic process, but I'll have my
two-penneth anyway. This may seem deafeningly naive, but why can't everybody
just sit down in a church hall, and put all the Gore votes on one side, and
all the Bush votes on another side, and then count up each one, and whoever
gets more votes wins? I mean, isn't that what they do over here (in the UK)?
Row and rows of people sit at trestle tables counting votes all day. How
many people are there in Florida? There can't be *that* many votes to be
counted, and, from what I gather, even if a computer can't count them, the
human eye can. So hmmm, it just seems too simple...

Anyway, I think that's about it for time being. I'm going away soon, so I
won't be on this list for much longer, but I'll send a brief farewell post
in before I leave. In the meantime, if there are any skiiers on the list who
are doing a season this season in France, get in contact!

Right, I'll shut up now.

love

Sam.x