Sinister: Howling Christmas

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Fri Nov 17 17:28:56 GMT 2000

"Christmas comes earlier each year" whingers are a perennial hazard.  You
know the type - people who insist that it is obscene that the deccies in the
shops appear in early or mid-November and maintain that they can remember
when it Didn't Used To Happen.  Get real!  It's happened for as long as I
can remember and probably a lot longer than that.

This is of course completely different from the wholesome practice of
students having two Christmases, at the end of term and the conventional
time, or indeed the tinsel and Christmas tress adorning the stage at the
Spearmint gig last night.  It was quite touching, with a bank of fairy
lights as a backdrop to add that touch of glam.  Somebody proceeded to
scatter polystyrene snow from a polystyrene cup over each band member in
turn.  Little did I imagine when my dumbstruck department was transfixed by
the giant hailstones falling over Harcourt Hill that morning that it was
merely a precursor of yet stranger precipitation.

Shirley didn’t merely address the audience, at one point he was *in* the
audience, walking up to people and singing to them in turn, which was nice.
And the songs...."We’re Going Out", "Oklahoma", "You are Still my Brother".
Amazing.

Have you noticed how people are casting the net a little wider when
selecting where to go for the work Christmas bash?  We, for example, are
going to a Thai restaurant.  It's encouraging to see people who normally
whine "How about something *different* from the *same old* turkey this
year?!"  actually doing something about it.  So now we'll see the "Christmas
comes earlier each year" brigade rampaging through our department stores,
trashing tinsel and pummelling the cloned Santas.  Maybe.

Looking forward to Sodastream tomorrow....

Mark.