Sinister: Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule

nicolson ian imn_uk at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:13:28 GMT 2000

Mark Hester spluttered:
""Christmas comes earlier each year" whingers are a
perennial hazard.  You know the type - people who
insist that it is obscene that the deccies in the
shops appear in early or mid-November and maintain
that they can remember when it Didn't Used To Happen."

Shops putting up Christmas stuff early (it's usually
September rather than November round these parts)
doesn't bother me at all, but people decorating their
houses around now really spoils it, don't you think?
Such as the people who live around the corner from me
who always really go over the top and try to turn
their house into a winter wonderland type thing, which
can be nice and indeed heartwarming on cold, dark
December evenings, but they usually wait until at
least, well, December.  But this year they've got all
the lights and everything on already, so instead of
looking festive it just looks garish.  Almost as
garish as Glasgow City Chambers, in fact.  But not
quite.

Speaking of Glasgow (neat little segue there, did you
notice?) there's an exhibition currently on at the
Lighthouse there that might be of interest to listy
people.  Actually, the people who it's probably of
most interest to are those from Glasgow, who probably
know all about it already and I'm just showing how
incredibly unhip and behind the times I am by
mentioning this, while thinking that I'm being dead
clever just cause I saw something about it in the
papers at the weekend.  But there might be people who
don't know about it, or are maybe going to be visiting
in the next few months or something.  Anyway, it's
called 'Electric City' and is about the underground
(for want of a better word) music scene in Glasgow
over the past 25 years and features such Sinister
faves as the Pastels and Orange Juice and Postcard
Records and suchlike.  Belle & Sebastian were
mentioned in the article I read, but I don't know if
there's anything about them in the exhibition.  It's
probably worth a visit if you can get there and it's
free to get into, which is good as well.  It runs
until 25 February (by which time I might have a job
and be able to travel through!) and there's more about
it at:
http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/electric-city

See - sometimes I can post things which people might
be interested in!

Peter Miller and Carsmile asked about Sodastream in
Hyndland on Friday.  I was there, but far too dazzled
by said Glasgow City Chambers Christmas lights and the
sheer excitement of travelling on underground trains
to form any coherent opinion, so I'll leave the
reviews to people better qualified than myself!

Ian N.