Sinister: Cheese, Tomato, Ham, Pineapple, Heroin

Neil Iain McGilp geo433 at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 22 17:41:08 GMT 2000

Hey folks,
Following a personal silence of several aeons this
afternoon I felt strangely compelled to share some of the
random gibberish currently cluttering up my tired little
mind.

***B&S Content***

B&S's infiltration of the mainstream continues apace.
Following on from their appearance on Roswell (which I
never saw, I find the whole genre of American teen TV
highly disconcerting; these kids are far too
well-scrubbed and attractive and mature(not to mention
verbose. My vocabulary at the age of fourteen consisted of
a series of embarrassed stammers and grunts) unless the
whole of the U.S. has an entirely zit-free adolesence,
(which I guess is possible) they lack even the slightest
relation to real life (I had a memorable falling out with
an ex-girlfriend (and Dawson's Creek fan) over this)), B&S
cropped up on Brookside (of all places) the other night
(Note: For those of you not in the know "Brookie" is an
admirably absurd soap opera set in Liverpool.) During a
typical soap opera dinner party Jacqui Dixon (upwardly
mobile twenty-something, jilted at altar, sold child for
cash) was heard to describe Belle and Sebastian as "crap
programme, great band" (or words to that effect) more
alarmingly yet "The Boy With The Arab Strap" was audible in
the background (although it was subsequently replaced by
"Love is All Around" by Wet Wet Wet. Take from that what
you will).

***More Close Encounters of the B&S Kind***

As if that wasn't peculiar enough, I recently sighted B&S
posters on the wall at an incredibly strange, druggy party
in Aberdeen, where I was repeatedly accosted by a very
excitable Frenchman, an ageing hippy and a guy who was
trying to organise Aberdeen's first Lesbian, Gay and
Bisexual football team (they were the only three people
there still capable of speech). In the background the DJ
was playing Alice Deejay. The joys of living in a
(relative) backwater.

***Wantin' Yer Ba's Bootit?***

I've been quite shocked/amused by the reaction of various
listees to the West of Scotland's ned problem, (re. Jen
getting whacked in the head). They're pretty much endemic
to the area (I should know, I'm from Hamilton, and hence
inevitably have occaisionally been subjected to acts of
"nedism") and they would actually be funny if they weren't
such evil wee shites.
For example, my all time favourite piece
of ned dialogue:
(Scene: Ned in standard uniform (Greasy hair, Kappa tracky
("Pure mintit, chief"), Rangers or Celtic shirt (delete
where applicable), is attempting to extort cash from
unfortunate victim. Cue Brave interloper:
Brave interloper: "Leave him alone!"
Ned (threateningly (and in all seriousness), to Brave
Interloper): "Wantin me tae leave YOU alane?"
I guess you had to be there at the time.
Cheers,
Iain McG.