Sinister: Struan and Stevie sighting in Noo York

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Sun Nov 26 16:42:31 GMT 2000

Salutations,
     I foresee this being a very, very long e-mail, as I was going to
post anyway, and the events of the yesterday have given me both real
content and reason to make the post even longer. I'll try to keep
relevant bits at the top, and you can all delete it as you get bored,
in a sort of marathon-like post reading.
     Went to the Yo La Tengo / Go-Betweens show last night. Fantastic
show, in fact the best I've seen since a bunch of Glaswegians hit our
shores. The Go-Betweens were....well not as good as the time I saw
McLennan/Forster but still quite excellent. I want to see them doing
a set without acoustic guitars though, so I think I'll have to go see
them again when they come back with some Modern Lovers. Anyway,
seeing them is still fantastic. And heaven is the soft curve of a
cheek in profile, turned just so, illuminated by pink stagelight.
Preferably from behind, turned you can see a little dip where the eye
socket begins, at about eighty feet, then seventy, a little closer
each song.
     Meanwhile, I finally found Miss Mai in the crowd around the end
of the Go-Bs set, and learned some interesting news. It seems while
in line to enter the club she saw Stevie and Struan behind her, and
starstruck, said hello to them. Then came back and reported to me
that they were there. So we weaved our way into the crowd to get
closer, and Mai (who I swear must have Struan Radar or something!)
noticed we were right next to Struan, looking dapper in a coat and
leather gloves.
     We broke the ice and chatted with him awhile. I feel I ought not
to reveal the reason they were in New York, as it sounded rather
uncomfirmed, and it would betray some sort of pact. However, the
reason they were at the club was to see the Go-Betweens. It sounded
(and I couldn't be sure) that they may not ever release Loneliness of
the Middle Distance Runner. Sadness. And after a fellow Scotsman
talked to him a bit he said they were aiming to try and tour in the
Springtime. Surprisingly, not that many people seemed to realize he
was in our midst. Either that or they were paralyzed with fear. But I
am not one to let that stop me, and I think I only slightly made an
ass out of myself. He was certainly very nice and approachable
though. But left when Yo La Tengo came onstage to look for Stevie.
     But Yo La Tengo were fantastic. They glided just off the ground
of darkened country roads. They bent slabs of white noise around my
heart and sent me to giddy euphoric heights. They made the girl with
the illuminated cheek sway in the most delightful manner. At the
highest points of epiphanic intensity I felt as though I had never
really lived until that moment. That my life up to that point had
been a thousand empty shells interspersed with empty days and nights,
all building up to this moment. And that if I expired the next
morning I would have achieved all that was necessary. So, uh, yes
they were good.
     I suppose that's all the music-related content that will be in
this post, so if you'd like, press the delete button now. Some of you
still there? Ah, good. Well my life has been rather interesting
lately, and I think one could draw parallels between their own and
mine, so it might be worth sharing a bit to you all.
     You see, I recently moved from the hills of Appalachia to the Big
City. A rash move, most definately, but I'm at an age when rash moves
are expected of me. I spent a lot of time alone in a small room
wondering what I was going to do, but eventually I got it all sorted
out. Now I feel as if it was the best decision I have ever made. I
cannot imagine feeling more justified.
     If my life were an 80's teen romance in film, this would be the
part in which a montage of happy scenes segue from one to the other.
Sitting on park benches, late at night, talking and laughing, stars
gleaming, eyes averted. Chance run-ins on subway platforms.
Suspiciously subsequent chance run-ins on subway platforms. Ought to
throw some scenes from last night's show in there as well I'm
certain. Above all, lots of talking, lots of furtive glances, and
plenty of beer.
     My troubles slide away with phantom grasps too weak to take hold.
My mind so rarely lingers on the past and so seldom worries about the
future, firmly planted in the present. It's enough to make the
confidance creep back out from behind my eyes and sit itself
comfortably back in my life. Which is probably obvious to the reader,
else what would possess me to yammer on and on about it? Well, I
ought to stop here before I get even more dull.

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>