Sinister: Erm, this may or may not be my first post...

Popboy Atlanta popboyatlanta at xxx.com
Mon Nov 27 14:46:45 GMT 2000

Ok, so I'm feeling a bit absentminded at the mo, as I can't remember if I've
ever posted to the list. I've been a bit of a lurker since I was released
from the nursery, so if I have posted, it's been a "hmmm, yeah, me too!"
kinda post, I'm sure. That's me. THE "hmmm, yeah, me too" kinda guy. Anyhow,
I come to you now because I need help. Not THAT kind of help - actually I do
need THAT kind of help, but that's not why I'm here...or maybe it is, hmmm.
what is THAT anyway?

My dilemma: I'm in love with Grandaddy's song "Jed the Humanoid." It makes
me well up because it's so sad and simply amazing. See, I've always had a
soft spot for robots, I think they're shiny and sleek, and advanced, and
misunderstood. Humans blame them for things they themselves programmed into
the robot. Robots throughout history have provided physical proof that
humans are consistently blame someone else for their very own mistakes. That
makes me sad. And now that it's Xmas (I will from here on out refer to it as
Xmas, because I was always yelled at as a child for calling it Xmas, as it
took the "true meaning" out of the holiday, AS IF THERE EVER WAS ANY!!?!
XMAS XMAS XMAS, so there!), I'm once again reminded of my favorite
stop-action animation specials like Frosty and Rudolph. You know the one
with the last-year's-forgotten-xmas-toys? They always put a dull ache in my
heart and a lump in my throat. The song Jed The Humanoid makes me feel just
that. It blends the two realms of sadness in a tale of a forgotten,
neglected past toy robot. With all kinds of great bleepy noises. And nice
lyrical phrasings. On with my story...

Now that I've heard one of Grandaddy's songs, I'd love to buy something from
them, but I don't know where to start. The local indie shop I used to
frequent for information and help in these kinds of situations simply turns
up its collective nose (as they are a collective, y'see) at me anymore when
I ask questions -  since I've stopped going in there every other day and
spending my life savings with them they have no time for me, not to mention
that if I do ever make it in, I have to go on my lunch hour from work which
means I'm in a suit'n'tie and therefore not hip enough to warrant attention.
So I've had no help from them. My newfound trusty friend CDNow turns up a
fair amount of stuff when I search on Grandaddy, and I don't know which one
to buy to begin my collection.

Can anyone suggest a good starting place to introduce me to the world of
Grandaddy? Erm, if you need some shape as to what music I generally like, I
like most everything. (how's that for vague?) I am a breakbeat DJ in my
other life, but tend to lean towards the bleeps and warmness of Boards of
Canada and electro-pop Baxendale lately, and have found a retrofitting of
90's Shoegazing is enveloping a lot of my listening too. I own most of the
Sarah collection (anyone looking to buy some records?) and I love B&S, the
newest Darla compilation, and Once Around The Block by Badly Drawn Boy is
what I hum in my sleep lately, so I'm only partially out of my 60's-ish pop
fetish.

Oh, and speaking of B&S - my required B&S comment is that I have been
listening to "Loneliness of A Middle Distance Runner" on repeat for
seventeen weeks, and I think it is starting to warp my head. It's definitely
my current favourite B&S song. Cheers to the nice boy who put the MP3 up on
his website! Now if I could only remember his name or web address...

Well, that's enough for a first post, I don't want to wear out my welcome
too soon (I'm pretty bad about that, actually, and may have already done
that. Let's hope not!)

Hugs,
Kevin
www.mindspring.com/~kvinson