Sinister: You Look As Though The Time Has Come To Pray

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Mon Nov 27 22:14:50 GMT 2000

Hi List,

It's A Cool, Cool First Sunday Of Advent
Has been out in the UK for a week. www.jeepster.co.uk directs people from
the rest of the world wishing to purchase to:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000051TTC/buro9/026-5894844-399885
5

I like O Come, O Come Emmanuel. Sounds to me like Stuart, Stevie, Isobel &
Sarah taking a verse each in turn (albeit in the order 1, 5, 3, 4 according
to my copy of Hymns Ancient & Modern). Good string arrangement, cool
melodica(?) solo.
As to the rest: some dross, with Grandaddy, Gorky's & Low shining through so
far, hopefully more later. But its for charity, so bloody buy one!

Disciplinary Action?
I've recently taken to peeking at Sinister at work, but may have to stop due
to the strange looks I get from passers-by catching sight of lines like:
"Life In Porno ... teeth marks ... his knob." And I won't be following any
more of Steve "Orange Tool" Carsmile's links, either.

"I'd squash him"
Over the years I've seen listees trying many ways of angling for crush
votes, but it seems that after all the easiest thing to do is just to
include a link to the crush page in a mail :)

The Pines, The Pines!
Listmummy Honey's proud Mum speech made me smile & get misty & reminded me
of the afternoon I spent yesterday in the company of the London branch of
the Sinister family in an Islington pub where the fug was blown away by the
refreshing clean smell & sound of acoustic folk pop duo The Pines. The
punters & windows were steamed & the music was great, both from listees Pam
& Joe & DJ Tim, the Preacher of P!O!P. Thanks.

Thanks too to Romain for continuing my series of occasional French lessons
by explaining why it might be OK to use the name Le Pinefox but never the
handle Les Pines.

Oh, I nearly forgot :) Pines product (one song) is available on the
glittering Fortuna Pop! Christmas compilation (contact
fortuna_pop at bigfoot.com for details) & their own 3 song 7". If (because!)
you want one of the latter contact either longlostcousin at yahoo.com or
pamelab at mcmail.com to find out how.

The evening was spent at the Colchester Arts Centre (a de-consecrated church
for anyone who hasn't been there ( or played there :)  )
First up was Whistler. A big bag of bollocks to their snotty cow of a singer
(still wearing same ugly dress) who compounded the evil of their tuneless
racket by swearing at, taking the piss out of & getting a security man to
threaten a member of the audience for having the temerity to ....

dance!

at "her" gig.

Props then to New! Improved! Rock! Hefner for restoring the balance of good
vibes by playing a great long set spiced with oldies but goodies & inviting
aforesaid idiot dancer onstage during their encores to perform in the pulpit
so everyone could watch him.

Nearly Done
The new Arab Strap single is a return to form - 2 t*o*p tunes, and at last I
know the name of that song they played at ATP (Blackness). There's a new
Cinerama out today too, & if people are going to plug V-Twin's singles
compilation, for anyone who doesn't have all Cinerama's (Princess Honey?)
Cooking Vinyl have gathered up all 13 tracks from their first 4 singles for
less than a tenner as "This Is Cinerama". As a Mr Gedge B side puts most
bands' best songs to shame its well worth getting IMHO.

All Tortoise's PostRockMates
I think I know the answer to this already, but is anyone here going to next
year's Camber Sands weekender?

Close Up The Honky Tonks, Hillary

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK