Sinister: Erm, this may or may not be my first post...

green green at xxx.au
Tue Nov 28 21:13:27 GMT 2000

*WARNING- ENTIRE POST ABOUT GRANDADDY (LIST RELEVANT I SWEAR!)*

hey (this is sent to the entire list, as opposed to just Popboy, cos i've
heard people enquire about my lovely Grandaddy before)
Grandaddy eh?  lovely.
you like Jed the Humanoid.  well, my favourite is the 'sequel'... which is
called "Jed's Other Poem (Beautiful Ground)" and is also on "The Sophtware
Slump" along with "Jed the Humanoid".
  I own this album as well as the first full-length, called "Under the Great
Western Freeway".

Under the Great Western Freeway has a few more obvious pop tunes... just. in
my opinion.  (it has a couple of weezer-ish hit singles in "am180" and
"summer here kids").
but the songs still drag on in a lovely fashion, and nothing is rushed.
the songs combine the innocence of an Amish farmer with the purest indie
love stories with (in a couple of tracks) sometimes vague sometimes full-on
sci-fi.  in a romantic fashion of course ("go progress chrome/they paint the
moon today"... "he'd seen plenty of mirages and imaginary visitors [since
the shuttle had crashed] so he wasn't sure what to think when he saw swans
they were wading on the shores of a pale white lake that he'd never seen
there before"... "everything beautiful is far away").  excellent and very
interesting production.

The Sophtware Slump has all these things, with the following differences.
it is more cohesive (the singer/producer fellow played the whole thing thru
on piano before recording).  it has more sci-fi (how beautiful is a song
about a national forest for broken down household appliances?  or an
alcoholic robot?  or the hero- he's simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot-
"don't give in 2000 man".  or the song about a miner at the "dial-a-view"
from which he searches for his loved ones).  it has less references to
country/farm life.  it is even more fragile sounding.  the songs are more
stretched out.  there is more music.  there is more piano, less lovely tinny
keyboards.  it could possibly be a concept album.  it has more lastability,
and also took longer for me to get into.  it has at  least two songs about
jed the humanoid.  i was disappointed, however, that  the singer didn't do
his lovely high-pitched flaming lips style voice as much on this album.
it's still a nice voice that sounds on the edge of crying, but it's not as
high-pitched.

there's my advice.  (Why took my advice?).  of course, both albums are
DEFINITELY worth getting if one of them is.
they also have "the broken down comforter collection", but i don't.
apparently it compiles a couple of old EP's/b-sides.

by the way, there was a big debate in my local street press letters section
earlier this year about he surly, hipper-than-thou indie record store
attendant.  some thought they should learn manners.  others thought they
were an integral part of the "scene".  i like 'em... if you can "earn" their
respect for a few brief moments, you feel really special.  and at other
times they're just plain amusing.  of course, the fact that these mangy
bad-mannered ego-trippers are employed, and i am not, is a worry.

sorry.
not sorry.
good luck.
ben