Sinister: history, man

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Tue Nov 28 23:05:18 GMT 2000

I saw Malcolm Bradbury getting into a lift once. Ever since that day, folk
have been asking if I was taught by him.

But I have a suspicion that he was a good liberal, and a good man. May his
'god' go with him: or failing that, for a 'god' always fails 'that', may Vic
Sage go with him. At the appropriate time. Don't hurry, Vic. We still need
you around here.

Mooro is back. But was he ever away? Yes. He was in 'Scotland'. That's where
Stevie McTroussé lives, so I hear. He - Mooro, not S McT - said:

First up was Whistler. A big bag of bollocks to their snotty cow of a singer
still wearing same ugly dress) who compounded the evil of their tuneless
racket by swearing at, taking the piss out of & getting a security man to
threaten a member of the audience for having the temerity to .... dance!

- Ah, the temerity to dance. I remember when I had the temerity to dance.
- But didn't we all?
A pause.
- Before the war, I mean.
Another.
- The Gulf War.
- Ah.

I'm not crazy about Whistler either. But I suppose they do sing in tune. And
their sets aren't drenched in feedback like most London duos' are these
days.

The boy Casarotto is back. Indeed, the old guard is back. But what are they
guarding? We'll find out, or not.

>>>I too haven't posted for a while as I've had nowt to say. Really. I did
>>>have a *moment* with B&S the other day, when I was frustrated and moody

Cazza, you're frustrated and moody NOW. That much is obvious from your post,
unless it's all a brilliantly elaborate hoax.

It is?

Oh.

>>>and I slipped the Black Sessions

what?

>>>Very nice, but not very interesting.

Kind of like Cazza. Oh, I don't mean it, son. Come back!

Golly. NickDastoor is the newest member of sinister, according to the front
page. I'm not kidding.

Talking of Tiger Milk, some of the more bilious of you may remember Kevan
Cooke's Catastrophic Cocktail Cabinet that we took to Bowlie.

I don't know that I do. Please tell us more. But I'll always be fond of the
memories of KC's gin cabinet, such as it was. I mean it. Fold Your Hands has
never sounded so good since; good though it has sounded.

LLLL spat

>>>I'm your huckleberry,

and I wonder what she means.

OldNewNickDastoor admitted

>>>I make a point of only fancying foul-tempered women,

and I wonder if he means it.

The lad Pennington whispered

We broke the ice and chatted with him awhile. I feel I ought not
to reveal the reason they were in New York, as it sounded rather
uncomfirmed, and it would betray some sort of pact. However, the
reason they were at the club was to see the Go-Betweens.

By gad. Do us a favour, Mick. Are you seriously trying to tell us that the
reason that the B&S lads were at a club was to see the Go-Betweens? Your
smokescreen is lighter than air, if you catch my drift. It's *obvious* that
B&S would never go to a club to see the Go-Betweens. They went - we all know
it already, don't be coy - to keep their appointment with you! It all
revolves around their new 10-LP deal with Sandcastle records. 'Some sort of
pact'? Well, really. Your negotiations with the band have been an open
secret for about the last 7 months! Just stop trying to pretend you're not
at the centre of events. We know you are really.

Jordi Cruyff grinned

>>>Mr.Miller gave me some issues of the also unique Chickfactor
fanzine, which is absolutely twee.

I am rather surprised by that judgement. The tweeest thing I ever saw in
chickfactor was their interview with a girl drummer named Adris from the
band 'harry pussy'. Harry Pussy released two flexi-discs in 1993. One was
'sunflower pussy' b/w 'i've found a way to mercury'. The second, specially
released on Edinburgh's Bomb The Sherberts label (for more info write Jock
Cavendish, 24d) Mickercandie Road, Lothian, ED1 QED. Enclose SAE), was the
lovely 'she comes out with the flowers after the rain', b/w 'rainbird boy'
and the 1minute, 20second bonus track 'pussy's gone'. They really were very
twee. Get a load of this extract from the interview.

- what's your rider?
- ah always wanted a poany. it would be nice if being in the band would let
me have mah oan poany.
- do you like to trip and stuff?
- noo, no' really. Ah hurt my knee when I do tha'.
- what do you have in your fridge?
- hee-hee - a little bit of... rhubarb.
- do you get sick of how all the girls in bands are badmouthing each other
all the time?
- ah was sick last week. My mooth hurt.
- where will you take us when we come to glasgow?
- oh, there's a lovely playground near my da's hoose with a lovely rocking
horse. I ripped ma cardigan on it once tho.

So, yes, that was a bit twee. But most of the readership and staff nowadays
actually consists of Hasidic bikers, lumberjacks, that kind of thing. If you
want to see a picture of the typical chickfactor reader see

http://www.adequacy.net/int/flare/flare2.shtml

Goodbye, Professor Bradbury.