Sinister: How will I get her to strike a pose?

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Wed Nov 29 06:07:01 GMT 2000

Hello,
    I like this whole 'posting' thing. It's fun. I'd never classify
myself as a lurker. I would classify myself as someone who is
extroverted yet too lazy to post often.

    So I'm not just posting for posting's sake. Honest. Cross my
heart. I have been listening to B&S a lot this week. In fact I
brought Sinister along with me on Monday, a thoroughly irritating day
in which I worked far too many hours. But I was struck by how
distinct it was from FISHYCLAP for the first time. It feels all
acoustic and timid in comparison. FISHYCLAP is confidant and lush. I
find myself liking it a lot more just now. It's funny though, when I
first listened to it, it really didn't sound that different. But
after you let it sink in maybe. Who knows...

     I like the inferences people made about my last post. Let's just
say the jury is out. But I don't believe in happy endings anyway.
Anything that ends isn't happy. Happiness should be ongoing.
Continuing happiness. Endings are for books and films.

     You know, meeting Struan was a bit of a two-edged sword. While
the good reasons ought to be obvious, the bad reason is now I keep
thinking of things I *ought* to have said. Maybe I should make a
small list and keep it in my hip pocket for any occasion that I might
run into him. That wouldn't look odd or anything would it? I realized
that I came *this* close to wearing my Study at Stow t-shirt. That
would have been awkward...

     And is that picture on Amihotornot actually him? Does this mean
Struan has a weiner dog!? Or maybe it's someone else's weiner dog. I
like them. Weiner dogs, I mean. Whoever those weiner dog-owners were,
their rating wasn't all that bad when I looked at it.

     I listen to a lot of music that doesn't sound like B&S. Lately
I've been listening to albums where people seem to aurally throw
their guitars up into the air, and wait for them to come back down.
Takes quite a while though. They just flit languidly about up there,
echoing bemusedly. The band doesn't really seem to mind either. They
just keep on singing for the most part.

     I think I'm going to try & go see the Go-Betweens again on
Thursday. I sort of doubt Struan will make a second appearance.
Although...he has to discuss their impending 10-LP deal deal with me,
apparently. Or so I hear.

     Hm, so a curious instance of life imitating song, I'm going to be
taking some photographs of the object of my furtive glances this
weekend. I'm quite excited at the prospect. After hearing "Photo
Jenny" it sounds like quite the thing to do. Except I'm not having
trouble getting her to do it and I don't need any drugs to help me
out at all really. But it still all fits together in my mind.

     Photographs are fantastic things for a bedsit sentamentalist.
There's something inherently romantic about them. Like placing the
needle of turntable on a warm, crackly record. Clicking the shutter,
adjusting the aperture, and especially developing the film. The
romance of that wears off quick though, after too many hours spent in
dimly lit rooms with the sound of water running, and the smell of the
chemicals.

     Not only have I begun to ramble, but I think I'm finished
rambling. If you're expecting an e-mail from me it will be just the
slightest bit longer. If you're not expecting an e-mail from me, you
should be feeling fine just now, and wondering why I haven't stopped
typing.

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>