Sinister: Dark places and mysterious tunnels

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Thu Nov 30 19:57:37 GMT 2000

Greetings, sinister people.

It's dark and cold; the weather is drawing in.  I'm supposed to be
working, but because I'm a damn lazy bugger I've been completely
ignoring all of my impending deadlines in favour of long walks and
afternoon naps.

Yesterday, I went for a long, long walk looking for mysterious holes
and underground places.  In a back alleyway, I found a dark shaft
coming up from a tunnel under the city; the sound of trains rushing
underneath.  I kept on walking, round through the suburbs along
cuttings and embankments, whistling Judy And The Dream of Horses as I
went.  I was still whistling -- quietly, in an i-can't-whistle sort of
way -- at work this morning.  Hopefully, the people around me will
have been subliminally affected by beautiful melodies.

I did see a disused tunnel mouth whose barriers had been broken down,
and I was tempted to walk inside.  Not being brave enough, I stood by
the entrance and admired the quality of the stonework.  God, I need
*daring*!

Talking on #sinister the other day, I happened to mention that I would
prefer a computer as seen in many, many 60s movies, with lots of
flashing lights and stuff; and got called a boy racer for my
troubles.  I would like to explain that this isn't what I want at
all.  I want a *huge* computer in a room of its own, manned by a team
of operators with NHS glasses and 1950s suits under their white lab
coats.  Every day I would walk in, and they would pass me the day's
Sinister mail printed out on green-striped paper.  Instead of a
monitor, it would have an *enormous* operator's console with hundreds
of lights and toggle switches.  Such a computer would normally live in
a missile-command centre, in a bunker deep beneath American mountains;
but I would keep it all to myself.  Aren't I greedy.

I was terribly disappointed when I first started using #sinister --
everyone there (except the List Mummy, of course) is an Absolute Tart!
I am now trying to increase my own tartiness in order to fit in more.
I shall have to buy a miniskirt and knee-high boots -- although I
don't think they'd go with my beard.

I did think of hundreds of other things to say, but they have all
slipped my mind right now.  Instead, I shall just have to go away and
try to improve myself.  Taraa.

--
Will "gneiss" Salt

ICQ 66321009