Sinister: please... don't butcher two languages

Rob Lorenson rtoad at xxx.net
Sun Oct 1 14:52:54 BST 2000

On 30 Sep 2000, at 10:35, n|ck g wrote:

> not your senorita wrote:
>
> Our German friends, however, chose to call their aeroplanes "MESSERSCHMITT"
> which means "Mister Smith". I rest my case.>>>
>
> i think that someone already pointed out that "das Messer" means "the knife"
> but i have to point out that i have never, ever heard anyone refer to "ein
> Flugzeug" (airplane : literally translated : flying thing) as anything but
> "Flugzeug." sorry to rain on the parade...
>
> the closest thing to Messerschmitt that i can think of is Messerschnitt.
> which means "knife slice."

Sorry to piss in your lemonade, but...

The Messerschmitt Bf109e and Bf109g were very famous and very
feared World War II planes, as was the Messerschmitt BF110.
The BF110 appeared near the end of the war, and was used for
dogfighting and bombing -- mainly bombing, because it was a high-
altitude plane.  The BF109e was Germany's premier dogfighter:
extremely stable in the air, as well as highly manoeuverable, but it
lacked speed compared to the Spitfire Mk series, and the P51
Mustang.  But what it lacked in speed it more than made up for in
firepower, packing machine guns and cannons, whereas its
adversaries -- the Hurricane, the Spitfire, and the Mustang P51 only
had machine guns.  The Zero (Japanese -- I think Mitsubishi made
it, but I'm not sure) is by far the most kickass WWII fighter.
Except for the Messerschmitt ME62e which came at the very end
of the war, which was a jet.  It was used very little in combat, as
Messerschmitt was unable to construct enough numbers in time to
put it into wide use.  That's probably what they are referring to
when they call their planes Messerschmitts.

Incidentally, Messerschmitt made planes in World War I, and
some of their planes were also used during the Korean War.

+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!
"That's why I eat Cadbury Eggs! NOT EVEN SUGAR
HAS MORE SUGAR!!"
-- Lots42, Alt.Religion.Kibology

Some people need to get a *real* e-mail program
that treats attachments as  attachments, not as
something to open up and spread across a vast
network like hippies on reefer rides.  But that's
a different thing all together."
--Taylor Netscum

http://home.earthlink.net/~rtoad
I AIN'T NO HIPPY ON A REEFER RIDE