Sinister: queen of all the hipsters

J. A. Teissere teissere at xxx.edu
Mon Oct 2 19:37:21 BST 2000

hi sinsisterfolk.

scattered through other letters from the weekend, i was happy to see that i
had been let out of the list nursery. a happy rite of passage! i believe i
even exclaimed "yay" aloud. i feel more connected on this grey wisconsin
morn to the thousands of you, multiplied and diffused throughout the world.

i was going to introduce myself at this point, but then a very loud
pipe-groaning sound passed through the ceiling overhead, and all of my
colleagues and i had to go out into the hallway to try to figure out if we
should do anything. after some worried glances, the sound appeared to calm
down. it seemed appeased in the fact that it had been at least noticed. but
who knows, really, in these postwar scientific cubicles, what a
pipe-groaning actually means? a leak, a burst? or just a tired building
casting off its final shudder? a century groans into the foundation as we
small scientists look up in wonder. if we're destined for rubble, thank god
I'll at least have post-nursery status when i go.

i'm finishing a degree in science right now. my dear dear friend kendra
speirs, also a post-nursery sinisterine sister, introduced me to the list.
she too slaves away in the scientific underworld, about 1000 miles away
from me, but in a parallel universe. i live out in wisconsin, and sadly,
B&S or any other kin bands never seem to make it out to these oft wintry
plains. polka bands, on the other hand, are quite the rage.

o, the pipe has found its plaintive tune again. best to all of you, the
teeming thousands, on the other side of this digital glass.

J. A.