Sinister: complicated headphone mind

Simiansurvival at xxx.com Simiansurvival at xxx.com
Thu Oct 5 07:34:44 BST 2000

i was so excited to talk you you fine sinister folk that i sent this to the
wrong address. sorry, honey, didn't mean to do that. i hope i didn't cause
problems.

ok, anyway, lots to say...

1. Kid A is excellent. i put it in my discman, put on my headphones, and by
the time it was done, i was crying. it made me all emotional. it's very
intense, very menacing, but i don't think the album is for everyone. if you
listen to stuff like aphex twin, boards of canada, and other warp records
stuff, which the band supposedly took influence from, then you will most
likely enjoy it. it's not easily accessible, but that is the point. for a
band to go out on a limb and risk their reputation, fanbase, etc, and to come
out stronger than ever...that is an amazing feat. lucky, but amazing
nonetheless. but that's just my opoinion, no more correct than anyone else's.
no one is bad because they don't like it, and no one is better because they
do. everyone is GREAT.

2. someone used their crush vote on me. who is it?!?! i know it's not
Richard, the wonderfully lovely Neosleeze, because he didn't use his yet.
(YET.) who is it? i don't want to go out on a limb and use mine yet... and
somehow i feel like it's a lurker. speak to me! the rest of the list doesn't
have to know!

3. someone said that belle and sebastian aren't pulling radioheads and making
drastically different albums. i think fishyclap was a very experimental
record...they took some big chances and tried some new stuff out (and i'm not
just talking about beyond the sunrise here). i think, like radiohead, both
bands took a chance, indulged a bit, and became more sure of themselves in
the process of making both of these records. experimental doesn't necessarily
mean "free jazz" or "blips drips and strips", or even "krautrock" (ha!).
serge gainsbourg was experimental by writing songs in many different styles,
yet his songs are all distinctly Gainsbourg.

i've been telling my girlfreind how ridiculous i think all of the ass kissing
that the press is doing to radiohead is stupid, but here i am, sounding like
smooches on tushes. as i've been saying, these people are just in bands,
they're not gods. we all have the potential to be radioheads, or belle and
sebastians, or half japaneses, or even serge gainsbourgs, the only thing that
makes us different from them is whether or not we want to take chances and
make ourselves heard.

(steps off of soapbox)

ok, now...

im going to stop before i hurt someone.

everyone enjoy autumn... manifest creativity in any way possible.
n**__espioum<<opwecw-0i,.oim;p0>LI<?><<<>>___>ciao*&%+___>>>
mike j