Sinister: Lorne Greene's Velvet Ties

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Fri Oct 6 15:27:33 BST 2000

We've been standing here a good while.

Mooro finally got the chance to talk about aeroplanes. Three years on this
list, biting his nails, twiddling his thumbs, waiting for the (Dutch) klaxon
to sound and the all-clear not to be given. That moment when (moustachioed)
men would don leathers and run for the airfield, ready to become men, or die
in the attempt. The moment came as the word 'Messershmitt', or however you
spell it, came overhead. For a while the skies were dark with references.
Syllables crashed around us. Yet when the flak had cleared, there in a
jacket, taking some flak for it, was Mooro. He had seized his chance at
last. He was proud.

Captain Marvel fell, trapping a nerve in his shoulder (he's got a nerve):

>>>I was going to write a song in response called Anyone Can Write a Song
>>>Better Than Anyone Can Play Guitar but I though better of it as, a) I
>>>could only play 2 guitar chords and at a speed that makes Galaxie 500
>>>sound like Napalm Death, and b) where would it end if they replied to
>>>that and the banter kept going to and fro.

Now, this was tremendous and funny, in my book. (Have you heard about my
book? Marvel Comics: Humour In Martin Robinson, 1999-, pub. Cornell UP, Fall
2001.) But I have to add that he admits more than he knows. Anyone *can*
play guitar better than the Marvel. He's still marvellous, though.
Especially on Wagon Wheels.

Cazza wrote:

>>>I'm also going to Scalarama. Bet that'll get the hoards thronging.

Did he mean 'hordes', or is this an elaborate joke? Are hoards of some
substance or other, stored somewhere, about to start thronging in some
direction or other?

At this stage we don't know.

Alixibelle said:

>>>ally cooke mentioned curtains.

Did she mean Ally *Cook*?

And:

>>>i feel like vampire.

Which one?

And:

>>>its' decidedly bland.

Did she mean 'it's decidedly bland'?

She would never make an error of punctuation. She is a (crab) stickler.

Frauline S. Livers typed:

>>>My fave sinister listee, PF, seems to have
landed in a more *real* world! I miss the old
PFantastic, sur-real-istic era!

a) that's very nice of 'her' - I think.

b) If I didn't know better, I would suspect that FSL was a name for the boy
Troussé. But even I know better than that.

c) It's true that the pinefox has become more 'realistic' in its modes and
fixations. But the reason is surely obvious. I am under the hard-to-avoid
influence of Yo La Tengo. Tengo's gritty meditations on post-industrial
Japan return us to 'the real' with new questions, or at least fluorescent
question marks. La Tengo - or 'Yo' as s/he is sometimes known in his native
land - writes an unsparing prose of tautness and urgency. We find ourselves
out on the streets, or at least, as Phil Lynott and Gary Moore once put it,
out in the fields. In the neo-neural non-nuclear wastescape conjured by Yo
(or La, as 'he' is known in Baltimore), there are more questioners than
interrogees. And he ain't tellin'. But one thing's for sure - someone,
somewhere [in summertime] is keeping it ReaL.

By the way, Reynolds and Press (The Sex Revolts, 1995) have this to say
about Thin Lizzy:

The Irish hard rockers presented a more or less identical [to the Clash] mix
of renegade mythos and mid-70s fear of totalitarianism, except that they
wrapped it up in science-fiction imagery and laid it on top of a marginally
more traditional sound (Hendrix-tinged raunch'n'roll) than the Clash's
garageland stomp. 'Jailbreak' was a sort of concept album, set in a
computer-controlled dystopian future, about a revolt against the evil
Overmaster. The sleevenotes describe a band of prisoners (ie Thin Lizzy) who
start off a jail riot and escape.

Reading this book, I start to wonder whether those of us who have so
vociferously backed Reynolds in the past ought to think about some
retractions.

Ally96 aye-ayed:

There's not much difference between snails and slugs [etc]

- which was obviously another of his trés successful chat-up lines.

>>>I can't see properly out of one eye. It's giving me headaches.

I can't swallow properly.

But I am truly sorry to hear this. Of course, the fact that I've heard it
doesn't make it true.

>>>Naturally morning came, and all the news had changed...

It always does.