Sinister: Bonanzarama

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Oct 8 14:03:13 BST 2000

Hi All,

Not much traffic at weekends I think so I'll risk another post.

Scalarama-lama-ding-dong
Bit like an indoor Sinister picnic really, with great company, music,
glamour, day-time drinking, polaroids & football. No food sadly & for chat
read shout. The Cuban Boys, Baxendale & Whistler left me cold: my musical
highlight being David Gedge playing records (in between having his photo
taken), arriving to play the theme from Goldfinger & leaving to the wails of
Felt's Primitive Painters. In between he engineered the feat of getting a
space substantially filled with Sinisterines dancing to Hole. And not only
dancing but singing the words all the way through & gesticulating too. I
think I even saw an air guitar.

I think a list of names usually goes here like credits at an awards ceremony
but today I consider that boring. Bit like my performance in the table
footie.

V-Twin
The Sinister hard-core stalking team left Scala-etc. early due to starvation
& to see V-Twin (or possibly more accurately their guest players). Blowup at
the Wag Club was weird: seemingly ran by West End gangsters for backless
00's teenage girls to dance to nonstop 60's music. Soul records I never
heard of, The Who's Can't Explain, cover versions (?) of Like A Rolling
Stone & I'm Waiting For The Man by soul singers trying to sound like Mick
Jagger.

The band played for a pretty entertaining & energetic ?30 minutes/seven
songs. V-Twin's singer is an astonishing fashion statement from the soaked
toes of his shoes to his enormous brown fur hat. He also was either
accompanied by a couple of fleas or afflicted with severe heartburn from
nerves or something as he had to keep scratching/rubbing himself. The vocal
performance was less easy to judge due to his microphone incomprehensibly
not being switched on. Thank You Baby is still my favourite & Delinquency
*Rocks*. All the band seemed to have a great time on stage, including their
guests Chris, Richard & Stevie. Richard thrashed hell out of an assortment
of percussion instruments, Chris is brilliant & smiled a lot & Stevie played
harmonica & guitar, for one number employing the interesting technique of
resting the end of his guitar on the amp & modifying the feedback by
toggling the L/R switch.

Isobel was in the audience. In a beautiful black dress.

Shame
Sincere apologies to Mr Geddes for chasing him across the club & tugging his
sleeve: really boorish of me. My only defence is that Lucy made me do it (&
you like her)

Sally & I left at 1 a.m. for the delights of the night bus to Greenwich so
Lucy will have to supply the rest of the goss.

Tonight
Sally & I off to see The Delgados at the RFH. Fascinating apprehension about
seeing The Incredible String Band for the first time. I know they're going
to be shite. But could that spark still be there?

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK